• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cheese - Smoked with Motorcycle tailpipe.

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tcounts

Fire Starter
Feb 16, 2008
After looking at the A-Maze-N smoker posts, I decided i needed to do some cheese.  Being that I never do things the easy way (ie actually buy the advertised items), I did some surface area and volume calculations and found a  motorcycle tail pipe baffle, and some apple and hickory sawdust online, and decided to smoke up some cheese.

Here in SC it's too freaking hot to do cold smoking during the daylight ( the cheese would melt just being outside), so I'm letting it smoke overnight in my gas Grill.

Cheeses:
  • Monterey Jack
  • Mild Cheddar
  • Gouda
d3d76d47_Tailpipe%20smoker%20and%20cheese.jpg

The tailpipe baffle is 1.5 inches in diameter, 24 inches long made of perforated stainless steel.  You can see the wisps of smoke coming off the pipe. 

bayouchilehead

Smoking Fanatic
Mar 18, 2010
Are you sure you're not a Cajun Engineer!! That looks like something I would do.....that's awesome, can't wait to see how this turns out.

ak1

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Feb 23, 2010
Very interesting! Look forward to the results.

Last edited:

mballi3011

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 12, 2009
cool.gif

Very nice your little cold smoker thingy thing. It looks as if it working pretty darn good me to. I would like to see the cheeses after it is done thou. Then again on how it taste in 2 weeks again. please

pops6927

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 23, 2008
Do you get double the smoke if it backfires?....
biggrin.gif
  (I sincerely apologize, I could not resist.. please forgive me :) :) )

tcounts

Fire Starter
Feb 16, 2008
I am learning.  I didn't have consistent sawdust coverage in the pipe, so it went out some time in the middle of the night. I shook it all down to one side and relit it, and pulled the cheese out a couple of hours ago.  I also moved the pipe directly under the cheese.  oops mistake - the monterey jack melted a little bit, but it has some awesome brown smoke coloring. so maybe it's not a mistake.

Here's the cheese as I pulled it out.

11ce3830_Smoked%20Cheese.jpg

Here it is all wrapped and resting

1e89b989_Smoked%20Cheese%20-%20Aging.jpg

fftwarren

Smoking Fanatic
May 26, 2010
motorcycle tail pipe baffle   what is it
icon_question.gif
well most motorcycles you hear have baffles in the exhaust pipe that tone down the loudness. Pipes without baffles are torture on the ears and illegal in most places because of how loud they are. Alot of custom bikes with crazy looking exhaust don't have baffles and you'll know it when they start up.

upsman

Meat Mopper
May 31, 2010
very creative tcounts! loving the qview pics and that grill wok you have. i have one the same! have a couple pics in my album using it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
Clicky