CharGriller Super Pro Chimney Mod Surprise! Heat struggle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grillfanatik

Original poster
May 11, 2017
Northeast IN
Hey all,

I have been reading and on this forum for a long time. Unfortunately lost my old username info and password so had to reboot a few years back and really haven't posted anything. Likely 12 or so years ago I learned a lot of great tips and modifications for my side draft smoker so thanks to all who post these great tips to share! I bought it new in 2006 and use it about 10-15 times each year and normally for pork shoulders and beef briskets. I have used a wide array of different woods over the years but Hickory has been my wood of choice and normal go-to.

So fast forward to using it today... The last time I used it was in December to smoke a few fatties for a holiday carry-in and all was well. This evening I loaded up the fire box to heat it up and am smoking a few pork shoulders tonight. Something seemed way off and wasn't making any sense. I couldn't build any heat! I have never battled it like this. Minimal wind, 40 degrees or so outside, plenty of coal and wood in the fire box just like the start of any other smoking effort. I couldn't even hit 200 degrees and seemed to sit more around 160-175 even and hour and a half after I lit it and added more fuel. The water pan was even boiling from the well loaded firebox but no heat in the chamber. Two different digital probes on the grate confirming each other. Smoke seemed to be flowing out of the chimney just fine but wasn't making any sense. I thought there has to be something in that pipe killing air flow- I did the 3" flexible vent tubing long ago so it sits at grate level. I moved the tube down and straightened it out a bit and fished a hose through it- Wa-Laa!!!! Creosote chunks fell out the other end! One of them half the size of the diameter of the tube and right in the S bend section when I felt the hose catch. Smoke was coming out so that threw me off but was enough to choke down air flow and kill the heat. I have never checked this before and early on used a bit of Apple wood which seems to leave more deposit but 12 years or so of smoking sure created some buildup! Im guessing it was clinging on for a long time but maybe just the low temps of northern IN winter this year or below to above freezing swings the past few months caused it to fall and lodge into the bend. Cleared out and all is well and back to making good temp.

I wanted to share this as surely someone else will cross this bridge one day and hope it helps!

Cheers,
Dave

Thanks for the tip Dave. I did the same mod to my chargriller too. It definitely helps with heat and smoke retention. I'll have to take a peek at mine, now that I have been using it for around 6 years.

Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky