Char Broil Big Easy Oil-less Fryer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 12, 2019
Allentown, PA
Greetings all,
A week or so ago there was a thread that started with the CharBroil Big Easy. I’ve had one in the basement for a few weeks and finally broke it out tonight.

The prep: 4# roasting turkey seasoned with salt (2TBS), rosemary (1TSP), and thyme (1TSP). In to the fridge uncovered for 6 hours. Then I inejected it with an apple cider, McCormick chicken seasoning, and butter mix.

The cook: This thing is a piece of cake. Turn the burner all the way up and light. I let it heat up for a few minutes before adding the chicken. The chicken went for about 1hr 45 min-2 hrs. Pulled it at 155 (held at this temp for more than 5 minutes) and brought inside.

A9B40AA5-6009-42FB-B0B9-0C3B97C305F8.jpeg 9D8025FB-A565-4846-9962-4E3F32028F90.jpeg 3DC6F89C-4172-466F-BC88-E630606A51A8.jpeg
Verdict: The dark meat was out of bounds good. The breast meat was fine but I’m learning that I’m not a white meat fan. I would have taken pics nicely sliced but we were hungry and it wasn’t a pretty carving!

Overall opinions: It’s a fun gadget. I’m sure with more use I’ll get a better handle on it. But I don’t really see how this is any better than an oven. Unless you’re goal is to be outside with some beers around this thing and/or make room for other stuff in the oven. At that point though I’d rather use the smoker. But it’s getting another trial this weekend so we’ll see! Now I just need a real oil fryer to compare!

Reactions: jcam222
Screw the peanut oil and aluminum crawfish pot. For many years I deep fried turkeys. Not anymore. The Char-Broil Big Easy is the way we roll. Just as moist and juicy as deep frying! Plus no expensive 5 gallons of peanut oil and easy cleanup.

Reactions: JCAP and jcam222
Screw the peanut oil and aluminum crawfish pot. For many years I deep fried turkeys. Not anymore. The Char-Broil Big Easy is the way we roll. Just as moist and juicy as deep frying! Plus no expensive 5 gallons of peanut oil and easy cleanup.

It was nice and juicy. This weekend is a turkey so I’ll see how it compares to my normal roasting!

Update: Turkey cook done. And it was darn good. The skin was perfect and the meat was nice a juicy (injected with butter/spices). So I take back my initial reservations about it and using an oven instead. This thing is great.

IMG_8066.jpg IMG_8067.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky