Central Texas Menudo Search

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
I'm a big fan of fresh Menudo but have only eaten it in the central Texas area in general.
All have had the same flavor profile, and that's going back to the early 70's when I first moved to Austin.
(Been enjoying it ever since my mom brought home Campbells canned pepper pot soup.
Little did I know back in the 1950's that she was getting me addicted to Menudo, but I digress.)
I've been looking at different recipes and different methods and can't calculate which of the dozens of "how to" videos out there represent what I consider to be "Menudo" because there are dozens of variations on the theme.
So anyone have the secret recipe for centex menudo?

I'm a big fan of fresh Menudo but have only eaten it in the central Texas area in general.
All have had the same flavor profile, and that's going back to the early 70's when I first moved to Austin.
(Been enjoying it ever since my mom brought home Campbells canned pepper pot soup.
Little did I know back in the 1950's that she was getting me addicted to Menudo, but I digress.)
I've been looking at different recipes and different methods and can't calculate which of the dozens of "how to" videos out there represent what I consider to be "Menudo" because there are dozens of variations on the theme.
So anyone have the secret recipe for centex menudo?
Hi there and welcome!

I have a step-by-step recipe covered for you AND guess what... it's good to go for a pressure cooker like an Instant Pot or any pressure cooker at 10 pounds. If no pressure cooker used you just do the same recipe but cook until it's done :D

It is out of this world good, simple, and accurate. Lots of recipes and blog posts about them online are geared towards getting clicks and use pretty pictures etc. but don't do much more than look pretty when it comes to reality. This thing is the real deal!

Here you go, enjoy!
full.jpg

(P.S. Wow this Menudo recipe post of mine has over 80K views!!! Only post of mine with more views is the MES rewire guide with 101K views. People from the internet must be finding it via Google and checking it out a bit lol)

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Looks good but we don't have a pressure cooker.
I'm wondering how many resturants use the stewed dry pepper method and how many pour in a spice packet AND could I tell the difference taste wise.
If the spice packets are legit flavor wise, I've seen several varities for sale at the grocery store/s.

Looks good but we don't have a pressure cooker.
I'm wondering how many resturants use the stewed dry pepper method and how many pour in a spice packet AND could I tell the difference taste wise.
If the spice packets are legit flavor wise, I've seen several varities for sale at the grocery store/s.
The spice packets have always been horrible when I tasted the product.

Also no need to use a pressure cooker.
You just have to boil the tripe separately (and first) until it's good and soft.
Then you can start the soup the same way and throw in the trip and cook until flavors are good and/or the pigs feet (if you added any) are nice and tender.

So pretty much the same thing but you have the extra step of boiling that tripe before starting the rest of the soup.

I hope this info helps :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky