Cast Iron Sear racks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

raceyb

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
I just went to Home Depot and spent $30 on a nice cast iron sear/grill rack that lays right on top of the chrome rack. Do I need to season this thing in the oven or something before using?

It is two sided, one side has wide grills for searing and the other side has smaller grill racks for grillin. I got this because I like to take a lot of pictures of grilled, smoked foods and would like to have pro looking grill marks.

If it was me Racy...I think I'd give it a good wash first, then season it for sure. Especially if you want to give it a little no-stick quality you know? That would probably take a couple seasonings.

Is it from China? They seem to be sending a lot of cast iron our way these days. If so, I'd be meticulous about the wash before seasoning.

just my $.02 worth...good luck
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Yeah, unfortunately it does say CHINA on it, lol. It is a charbroil product and it is heavy and looks solid.

I think I'll give it a wash and season it a few times in the oven. Thanks for offering an opinion. I was leaning that way, now i will.

I did a quick google search and didn't find any cast iron for $30 at the Depot. Can you shoot me a pic or picture out of curiosity? FWIW, I 'season' any cast iron I get ... even if it is 'pre seasoned' I don't see how it could hurt anything. I have some Lodge pre seasoned pans and Cabelas pre seasoned DO's .... seasoned them the way I was taught to do a regular pan, and love 'em.

The problem with cast iron grill grates seems that at searing/high temps the seasoning can be burned off ..... I am speaking anout my C/I grate that I use on the BGE. I get that thing to 700* plus and sear away. The seasoning seems to just burn away.

I would not use the oven it will stink the house out. Been there done that.
Do it on your grill I suggest.

Click on this thumbnail for the full size. The cost was $27.89 at my local Home Depot. I did end up seasoning it in the house oven and ended up having to open windows, lol.

This rack works great, It got it's first use today.

008.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky