Canadian Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

earthquake5683

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Krickenbach Germany
Long time ago I made Canadian Bacon but I used tenderloin.  It came out alright.  So a couple weeks ago I decided to pick up a pork loin and give it a whirl again.  Soaked in wet cure since 20-Feb and pulled it out this afternoon.  Rinsed, soaked, fry test complete and it was pretty good.  Not salty at all.  I rubbed half with chipotle honey spice and black pepper and the other half will be plain for wife's breakfast sandwiches.  Smoker is warming up now.

Pink salt (Cure #1), salt, brown sugar, water, garlic.  I started to follow pop's brine then added a few more spices.  Can't recall.  I'm bad about writing stuff down.  I open up the spice cabinet and start grabbing stuff.  

Yes, i started with that.  I used the recommended amount of cure (or so i thought) but the color didnt change much.  It's not like store bought canadian bacon.  Wish it was a little more pinkish.  

Cured pork won't get that deep red like beef.

That's good to know, thanks.  The tenderloin we did came out looking like ham color.  The pork is currently at 135ish in smoker.  Will know in the AM when I slice.  

I'm trying for the first time. I have four 1-1/2 #'s I wet cured the same way. Took them out of the brine today. I too was dissapointed that the color hadn't changed much, but your pictures of your finished product gives me hope! What did you think of the taste salt level in the finished bacon? I have mine back in the fridge for four days to continue the process. Smoke roll's Thursday!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky