Canadian bacon :)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gersus

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Mid-Missouri
I threw a loin in with some cure, brown sugar, and a little spice a few days ago. I rinsed it off this morning, let it dry for a bit then let it finish drying in the 'house at about 120F. This is my first time tying any meat!

5ba9a72f_CBtiedup.jpg

afae0f3d_CBinthehouse.jpg

I got busy with other things and left it at around 130 for too long. It ended up taking 13 hours to finish!!!! 

I ramped it up to 160 and added the AMNPS with 1/3 hickory, 2/3 apple. I had a hard time keeping the AMNPS burning. I've had this problem in my MES plenty but it's a first in the smokehouse. Ended up only getting one row burnt.

Here it is about half way thru the smoke.

dd6a3275_CBhalfway.jpg

At 1:30 in the morning I finally pulled it and ran cold water over it to cool it. Then to the fridge it went. I'll slice it and give it a try tonight! :) More pics to follow!

I wanted to comment on my slicer. It's a chefs choice 615. I wrestled between slicer choices for a good while. I didn't want to waste money on a cheap one if it wasn't very good but couldn't throw out the money for a nice one either. I have been tickled to death with this little slicer! It's done a great job every time. I've even sliced whole width belly bacon on it. I'm sure the big machines are awesome but for the money this little dude has been great! Plus it's easy to store ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky