Canadian Bacon or Back Bacon (for my Canadian friends)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
I was out of Canadian Bacon and our local store had loins on sale, so my lovely wife picked up one for me.
I cut it in half then cut the half in two pieces. Rubbed each with proper amounts of TQ and Brown Sugar, then into zip lock bags and into the fridge for about 12 days.
After the 12th day I removed them from the fridge washed them really good and let them soak in ice water for about an hour. Rinsed one more time patted dry seasoned and back in the fridge uncovered.
Next day, pulled loins out of the fridge and let set on the counter for an hour or so while I got my smoker ready.
Smoker at 225, placed both pieces in the smoker (heat only) for about 30 min,
Added a couple of splits of pecan and smoked for two hours.
Removed from smoker then into zip lock bags and into my SV.
After conversing with the SV king and my friend (Beracarver) we (or he) said 136 for 6 hours.
It actually went almost 7 because I forgot about it (My CRS kicking in)
Removed from the SV and bags and onto drying rack then back in the fridge till tomorrow.
Instead of leaving them for two days like I usually do I l pulled it out after one.
Got out my trusty slicer and went to work. OMG this was the best batch I have ever done.
Smoke was perfect texture, moisture and looks were perfect and Tender !!!

Here are some Pics, Oh yeah since I had my Smoker going I threw on supper Baby Backs and Boudin

Out of the Zip Locks , seasoned up and ready for the fridge

IMG_0451.jpg
IMG_0452.jpg

After two hours on the smoker
IMG_0453.jpg
IMG_0454.jpg

SV ready for the Loins
IMG_0457 (1).jpg
IMG_0458 (1).jpg

Aah Supper Baby Backs and Boudin
IMG_0461 (2).jpg

After a rest overnight in the fridge slicing them up
IMG_0463.jpg
IMG_0464.jpg

Look at the color !!
IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

I put 6 slices in each bag, got 10 bags plus what I ate while vac sealing
IMG_0468.jpg

Thanks for looking, Super easy and some really good stuff, Give it a try

Gary

Last edited:
Store bought, spur of the moment thing

Gary

Oh Yeah!!:)

That looks Awesome, Gary!!
I never did that, but I knew it would be awesome when you told me what you wanted to do!!
I'm sure it's mighty Tasty!!:)
Like.

Bear

Reactions: gary s
That looks incredible Gary. Nice job.

Point for sure.

Chris

Thanks guys. It is extremely tender . I will do it this way one more time to see if it comes out the same.
If it does This will be the way I'll make it from now on.

Gary

Reactions: Bearcarver
You finally joined the SV crowd!
The CB looks fantastic!
I haven't tried that in the SV yet, but the next batch I certainly will.
Nice job Buddy & congrats on getting a spin on the carousel!!
Al

This was an experiment that turned out great, It's so easy Thanks guys for the Likes

Gary

Al, I've had my SV for a while Used it twice before without great results so I stuck it in the closet.
Glad I decided to get it back out.

Gary

Great looking CB my friend. Looks beautiful.
How much smokiness did just 2 hours give you?? Just idle curriosity since I don't have an SV and don't really see one in my future. Although after seeing your results............
Definitely POINTworthy.
Gary

Thanks Gary, Smoke was very mild, actually just right. Really tender and moist.

Gary

Thanks Gary, Smoke was very mild, actually just right. Really tender and moist.

Gary

I keep coming back to look at these Pics!! Awesome!!

I haven't been doing much curing, because my Curing Fridge is in the basement, and all those trips up & down the steps are hard on me.
However yours looks so good, I might have to do a couple of small sections of Loin, and cure it in my Kitchen Fridge.

Bear

Nice looking CB there, you like the pecan? I typically use a mix of apple and hickory, but since I can get pecan chunks up here now I have been finding I like that more and more on stuff.

Ive been doing the home made CB for a few years now, now sure why some times it turns out awesome, the next time not so good (still edible, but certainly not something I want to give away with my name on it.) I have always done it to finish temp in the UDS, maybe I will try the MES40 next time so I can better control the smoke. I am intrigued with the sous vide, but havent yet taken that plunge... <--- see what I did there? Im a punny guy huh? (crickets)

I had 3 pieces from a whole pork loin on the smoker today. I had planned to take two ofthem to 145F on the smoker over a 9-12 hour period and SV the third. Your post changed my plan!!

I pulled all 3 at the 7 hour mark and they were at ~118F-120F. Put all three in the SV pot and set it for 140F. Should be done in about an hour or two with a total time of about 5 hours SV. Then, some cool down on the three season porch (I live in Minnesota) and then into the beer fridge. New slicer comes tomorrow!

Scott

Dang Gary that Bear's step by step now has you converted over to that SV thing too. H e sure has a way of costing us $$$$ but I have not committed to the SV thing yet but I do have the Air Fryer thanks to that Bear.

Warren

Reactions: Bearcarver
I had 3 pieces from a whole pork loin on the smoker today. I had planned to take two ofthem to 145F on the smoker over a 9-12 hour period and SV the third. Your post changed my plan!!

I pulled all 3 at the 7 hour mark and they were at ~118F-120F. Put all three in the SV pot and set it for 140F. Should be done in about an hour or two with a total time of about 5 hours SV. Then, some cool down on the three season porch (I live in Minnesota) and then into the beer fridge. New slicer comes tomorrow!

Scott

You didn't mention that you cured those pieces of pork loin.
It's not good to take 3 to 7 hours with uncured pork to get to 120°.
Uncured meat should go from 40° to 140° (Danger Zone) in no longer than 4 hours.

If it was cured, like Gary did, it's not a problem.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky