Can I use this kind of wood to smoke with?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
From what I have read, not first hand experience mind you, is that it is safe to smoke with. However, it is one of the fastest burning hardwoods also has a btu rating close to most soft woods even though it is a hardwood at 15.9 million btu per cord that is relative to some pine species in terms of low btu http://firewoodresource.com/firewood-btu-ratings/ I have not found one person that smoked with the wood however so flavor would be anyones guess.

Thanks..... I was hoping I could.  I'll burn a little bit by itself and smell the smoke. If it smells good, then I'll use it, but if it doesn't, well, I'll just use it in my fireplace.  Is this "smell test" the best way to see if it will be a good smoking wood?

So, it would burn hot and fast?  I'll burn a sample of it to determine if the smoke is something I'd like to have on the meat I smoke.  Is there another way to test the wood?

So, it would burn hot and fast?  I'll burn a sample of it to determine if the smoke is something I'd like to have on the meat I smoke.  Is there another way to test the wood?
Bob I would smoke a Chicken Leg quarter,taste it see if you like it.It is a cheap test 

Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky