Kiln wood or not ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

arkysmeats

Original poster
Nov 6, 2023
Hey folks l just got me a new reverse flow customs stick burner . Do you have to use kiln dried wood to smoke with or can you use just plain old firewood oak ?

Reactions: JLeonard
I get 4/4 kiln dried from the local mill ($30 for a good sized trailer load). I start the stick burner with small splits of that and then go to air dried, larger sticks of whatever 's on hand. The apple's about gone, so it's cherry and maple for a while. The same laws that cover firewood for the wood stove apply to the smoker....nine months air drying time. Green wood equals creosote. Not good.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Hey folks l just got me a new reverse flow customs stick burner . Do you have to use kiln dried wood to smoke with or can you use just plain old firewood oak ?
Welcome, glad to have you here and welcome to the world of stick burning. Which smoker did you get? As others have said, seasoned firewood is perfect. Around me, oak, both red and white, is plentiful as is hickory and black cherry. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that 95% or more of those using stick burners are NOT using kiln dried wood exclusively...

I’m in the same boat as most here. I use the wood from my fireplace stack, around here it’s a mix of oak and iron wood. I have some apple wood that I keep separate.
What smoker did you get? Pictures?

Welcome from North Carolina,
I tend to stay away from kiln dried. It looses alot of flavor in my opinion. I use any hardwood I have, Currently oak, hickoty apple and maple. Stay away from soft woods like pine and poplar

I think that kiln dried wood is too dry and imparts very little flavor. As someone else mentioned can be great for startup although I just use some charcoal for that. Decently seasoned wood is fine. It can be a lot "wetter" than many think and still put out TBS and great flavor.

Hey thanks for all the responses folks. Yeah I didn't think I had to use kiln dried only . I knew no green woods or any confirious wood. I have always prefered hickory and apple . I used a old offset charcoal char griller for years and a couple vertical boxes . I have a custom made offset reverse flow stick burner now . It was made from a company called fatdaddys LLC smoker . I have used it twice since I got it and works amazing. Just been having problems on what kind of wood to use . Thank again for the response I will save a lot of money just using oak firewood .

I’m in the same boat as most here. I use the wood from my fireplace stack, around here it’s a mix of oak and iron wood. I have some apple wood that I keep separate.
What smoker did you get? Pictures?
Fatdaddys smokers out of Waukesha , Wisconsin

Attachments

• Resized_1000000636_610477141786284.jpeg
    Resized_1000000636_610477141786284.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 10
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky