Building a smoker.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sqtree

Original poster
May 7, 2020
Have a vintage refrigerator I’m turning into a smoker. Have done this in the past with a simple single burner as the heating element. Looking to make something a little more user friendly. Any advice out there for an electric heating source and opinions on PID temp controllers?

PID controller work very well.... A 1500 watt element should work well also as long as you replace the insulation with clean, new insulation... An AMNPS smoke generator would be what I would use for smoke... Adjustable air inlet of about 3" diameter and air outlets of the same.... The outlets should be placed on the side of the smoker body so condensate does not drip on any meat... I would put 2" diameter outlets on each side near the top of the chamber... extend them straight out... any curve will collect condensate... The only need to extend and inch or 2 through the wall....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky