Brisket smoke today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinfam

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Indiana
I picked up a 13lb brisket yesterday at Costco and put it into the MasterBuilt smoker today at 4pm (EST). I am estimating around close to 20hours from start to finish. It's currently 7DegF outside and it's going to be around 3DegF by midnight.
I plan to let it sit in the smoke until around 10pm and then bring it inside, put it in a foil pan covered with foil and put into the oven @ 200DegF for the remaining ~ 14hours overnight.
I've never used this approach before, but I figure once it's covered in foil it doesn't matter if it's in the smoker or the oven. And since it's going to be so cold, I figured it might be more efficient to finish it inside.... Thoughts?

Pictures included below of the progress so far...

20171230_170808.jpg 20171230_160216.jpg

Reactions: KCowTown
Sure.I'd smoke it as long as possible,then transfer to preheated oven.Preheat oven and transfer right before going to bed unless 10 pm is your bed time,then do it at 10 :)

Once it’s wrapped, smoke doesn’t matter.
That being said, low temps in an oven don’t always correspond with what it says on the dial. I found this out finishing sausage. Wild swings and lower temps.
You should be fine, especially since you’re planning on 20 hrs...

I think 200 and sleep sounds about right. When it reaches 200- 205 it's gonna be ready to stick in a cooler for a couple hours with towels under and over it. Of course you need to check for tenderness first.. you could turn up the oven for a bit after your up. 275 sounds cool..
I open my foiled brisket when it's done so it cools 20 degrees or so and then stick it in the cooler wrapped up , or in a 170 oven is ok for a couple hours or more. You can adjust the holding times a little less or more.. it helps to hold it for an hour plus . Kinda does like what resting does but better.

You probably know all that..
Good luck!

Last edited:
So once the brisket reaches 200/205, you open the foil up and leave in the oven at 170DegF for a couple additional hours instead of wrapping in a cooler and that gives you better results?

I think 200 and sleep sounds about right. When it reaches 200- 205 it's gonna be ready to stick in a cooler for a couple hours with towels under and over it. Of course you need to check for tenderness first.. you could turn up the oven for a bit after your up. 275 sounds cool..
I open my foiled brisket when it's done so it cools 20 degrees or so and then stick it in the cooler wrapped up , or in a 170 oven is ok for a couple hours or more. You can adjust the holding times a little less or more.. it helps to hold it for an hour plus . Kinda does like what resting does but better.

You probably know all that..
Good luck!

So once the brisket reaches 200/205, you open the foil up and leave in the oven at 170DegF for a couple additional hours instead of wrapping in a cooler and that gives you better results?
No. You open the foil to help the brisket cool down and stop cooking. After a few minutes it should be safe to wrap it back up tightly and either use the oven to keep it 170 or so for a couple hours.. Or you wrap it back up and put it in the cooler.. They both did the same thing and hold it at a steady temp until juices have settled down back into the meat. Both same results. :)

Hello friend,

I'm getting into a similar situation this evening. I have a 12.5 lbs brisket that I'm smoking. I'm trying to determine how much time to plan for this thing as I'm bringing it to a NYE party. Its 10am EST now here in Cincinnati Ohio. What time did you put yours on and where you at now with the temps?

Hello friend,

I'm getting into a similar situation this evening. I have a 12.5 lbs brisket that I'm smoking. I'm trying to determine how much time to plan for this thing as I'm bringing it to a NYE party. Its 10am EST now here in Cincinnati Ohio. What time did you put yours on and where you at now with the temps?

10 am? :eek:

Update - 10:15pm - Pulled out of the smoker. Internal temp at 145F. Total cook time so far is 6 hours 15min. Placed into foil pan with some beef broth and covered with foil. Placed into oven at 200F set temperature for overnight cooking.

20171230_221946.jpg 20171230_222416_001.jpg

Hello friend,

I put mine on the smoke at 4pm and just took off to put in oven. Internal temp is 145F.

Reactions: jrod
Put one on the smoker before you go to bed if you trust the smoker to go all night ok.
I would if I knew my smoker good. But you need to keep wood smoke going in it.
Then your brisket will be done at like 2 pm and you need to keep it hot in a cooler

Update - 6:15am - Point is 198F and middle flat is 201F.
Seems this finished quicker than I thought it would. It's been 16hours since I put it on.
I was intending to have this ready for lunch after church today around 1pm.
Around 7am, I'll probably take it out, open it up and let it cool for a few minutes, then wrap in foil and place back into oven @ 170F until 9am, then put into the refrigerator to wait until we get home from church for lunch.
Will post pictures when I take it out...

Update - 6:15am - Point is 198F and middle flat is 201F.
Seems this finished quicker than I thought it would. It's been 16hours since I put it on.
I was intending to have this ready for lunch after church today around 1pm.
Around 7am, I'll probably take it out, open it up and let it cool for a few minutes, then wrap in foil and place back into oven @ 170F until 9am, then put into the refrigerator to wait until we get home from church for lunch.
Will post pictures when I take it out...

Unless you are planning on eating it cold it will stay nice & hot in a 170 degree oven until you get home from church,
Just leave it in the oven wrapped in foil with a little beef broth or pan juice.
Al

Reactions: smokinfam
Update - 8:30am - I just pulled out of the oven. 201F internal temp.
Double wrapped in foil and back in oven @170F to rest until we get home at 1pm today.

Attachments

• 20171231_081955.jpg
    20171231_081955.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 46
Houston, we may have a problem... I just noticed my temp probe isn't reading correctly :( in a glass of cold water it reads 181F. Now I'm not sure what temp the meat was. It did pass the toothpick test though so I guess I'll see when I eat it later. 15147283397782037418209.jpg

Took out of oven at 1:30pm. Turned out really well. Wife and daughter say it's my best so far so I guess that's the best I could hope for :)

20171231_132924.jpg 20171231_133800.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky