Brisket flat in cooler

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JMAC1604

Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
Happy Easter All,

smoking two 5kb flats. Just wrapped at IT 160. Will take until about 200?
Question. Once temp is reached I will wrap in towels and place in cooler. In doin go, will the brisket continue to cook? Don’t want it to get dried out sitting in foil and towels in cooler.
Please advise.

Attachments

• 94110B6E-9785-4C4A-A5E9-17F31242B0F6.jpeg
    94110B6E-9785-4C4A-A5E9-17F31242B0F6.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 997D5B92-62AA-4280-B16C-DAAD68043C7C.jpeg
    997D5B92-62AA-4280-B16C-DAAD68043C7C.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: kruizer
This is what I do - Before wrapping and placing into the cooler, leave it sit on the counter uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes so it doesn't continue to cook once you wrap and place it in the cooler.

Don't get too set on 200°. It's it tender at 200° then you can safely vent, and then to the cooler. But it might not be tender the instant it hits 200°, and it might take more time.

I do things a little different. I pull at 190/195 and immediately wrap in 2 layers of heavy duty foil, thick towel and into the cooler till eating time. I'm probably the odd fellow here.

I do things a little different. I pull at 190/195 and immediately wrap in 2 layers of heavy duty foil, thick towel and into the cooler till eating time. I'm probably the odd fellow here.

Nope your not.

I've wrapped both ways and prefer this method also.

Nope your not.

I've wrapped both ways and prefer this method also.

There is no all-right or all-wrong way. So by immediately wrapping at a predetermined internal temp, both of you are planning on the brisket to continue to cook for a while in the cooler?

I stopped doing flats, did not care much for final results. I do only whole packers, mostly prime from Costco, but on occasion choice from the commissary. So yes, I follow the procedure I mentioned for whole packers.

I kind of like that idea. I may just give that a try with the packer I have in the freezer (if I remember)

There is no all-right or all-wrong way. So by immediately wrapping at a predetermined internal temp, both of you are planning on the brisket to continue to cook for a while in the cooler?
I have not looked at it as continuing to cook although I am sure it does to a certain degree. With my first electric smoker, the Cookshack, I asked a few questions at their forum and the more seasoned veterans recommended this procedure. That was in 2012 and I have followed it ever since, even with the smoker from Smokin-it. Family and friends love the results. The point is butter tender and the flat slices nicely after cooling for sandwiches although leftovers are very rare.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky