Brisket done too quick? Put this guy on at 7:30 A.M. , got to 170 at 1045. wrapped and got to 207 by

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

graywolf1936

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Northern California
100_2638.JPG

Reactions: gmc2003
That seems pretty fast. Was it tender when you probed it? Hard for me to tell from the picture....is that just the flat? If so, 5 hours might not be too quick. You've been around a while so I assume you used an external thermo to keep track of your smoker temp and not the thermo on the smoker itself?

If its a smaller, like it looks like in the pictures that seems about right. I did a 4 lb flat that cooked in 5 hours a few weeks ago.

Yeah, I gotta agree, that's looks to be a pretty small Flat.
As such it could possibly come up to temp in that time period, especially if started at room temp.
Biggest concern would be how it probed.
If it didn't probe at least nearing tender, I'd suspect the meat thermometer and if it probed tender then you're good to go.

Did the tooth pick(learn here). was good. I had the whole brisket, cut that much 5-6 lbs. It was a learning brisket for a family cook out next week. Thanks for the comments.

You know what, it was my first attempt but it turned out great. I put it in a cooler then when my company came I served it. They all liked it along with my B B Q sauce. Thanks for asking.

Glad it turned out well. It's always nice when a plan works.

Point for sure.

Chris

mmmm. got a couple of 6lb flats I'm doing this weekend, was planning 7-8 hours and getting up for an early start.
This makes me think that I should consider sleeping in a bit.

mmmm. got a couple of 6lb flats I'm doing this weekend, was planning 7-8 hours and getting up for an early start.
This makes me think that I should consider sleeping in a bit.

and it's a good thing I didn't. figured I start early to get done early, smoke ran just about 10 hours, pulled at 204. then another 2 after dinner to get some burnt ends from the leftovers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky