• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Brisket and burnt ends

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

devildog89

Fire Starter
Dec 1, 2016
Local Walmart got in some brisket last week, by the time I went in to pick one up they were reduced even more. So I got 2. Ended up paying $2lb. One went in the freezer for a later date.

Got home from work about 2am Saturday morning and prepped it for the MES. Due to size I separated the flat from the point pre cook. In the smoker the point was on top rack per Als advice. The flat got a coating of EVOO and a store bought rub from Weber for smoking and BBQ. The point got spicy brown mustard and a hot-n-spicy rub from a local meat market. Into the smoker by about 245am at 240 dg. Wood was pecan.

Caught a few short catnaps in between checking it was still smoking, I use the MES cold smoke unit and heat with the regular MES burner. IT was 150 by 930am, at 1030am and 160 IT pulled it and put them into pans and covered with foil. 

Got a few more winks and then had to battle differing thermometers. I checked them to compare before I started and boiling water they were about 1.5 apart, one at 211 and one a little over 212. The one I use during the smoke, was showing 189 IT, the hand held was reading 199 in the same spot. When the hand held showed 205 and the other 195 I went ahead and pulled them at about 215pm. Wrapped the flat in foil and into a cooler for the next 2.5 hrs. The point was cut into cubes for burnt ends. If I had waited any longer I would not have been able to do so. Very tender. After cubing, then added more of the hot-n-spicy rub and Famous Daves rich and sassy BBQ sauce, then back to the smoker for about 2 hours. (My adult sons were attacking the cubes before I could season and add sauce). 

The ends were super spicy. The flat was sliced and everything served with baked taters, corn and salad. Great reviews from the family, even the MIL.

Sorry for the lack of pics, I forget and then at the end I was drooling and wanted to eat.

For Sunday I attempted babybacks for the first time. Used the weber smoke rub for 4 racks. Sorry no pics of the ribs. Used the 2-2-1  for timing. Last hour I added more Famous Daves rich n sassy sauce. I had to cut each rack in half to fit in the MES. These came out really good, not quite fall off the bone, but easy to pull off the bone.

I will get better about the pics, promise.

Flat

Point

Dont mind the oven therm, it just went in before the pic.

Point pre cube

Sample cubes

Semper Fi!

devildog89

Fire Starter
Dec 1, 2016
Took a little of each into work and the guys wanted more. The burnt ends were the biggest hit.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Everything looks fantastic!

Great job!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
Clicky