Brining ham steaks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Ol'Fatty

Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
SW Iowa
My wife and I picked up our hog on Friday. We asked that they not cure the hams or bacon as I planned on doing that myself.
While putting the meat away at home I see that they sliced the hams into two inch thick steaks. All of it.
I can't find anything on the brine time or procedure for ham steaks. Can anyone help me with this?

Are you planning to cure and smoke all of them at once?
In any event, keeping everything Cold, weigh the meat you want to cure plus the weight of enough water, non-clorinated , to cover by 2". Weighing by grams is the most accurate. Multiply the total by .0025 for the weight of Cure #1 needed. Multiply the total by .02 for the weight of salt needed. Then, multiply the total weight by .01 for the weight of Sugar needed. If you like sweeter, double it, white or brown.
Place 2C of the weighed water on the stove. Add the Salt and Sugar, NOT the Cure #1, to the pot and bring to a boil. Place the pot in a large bowl or tub of Ice Water. Stir the Brine until cold or at least below room temperature. Add the Cure #1 to the cooled Brine an stir to dissolve. Combine the Brine and remaining water in your cleaned and bleach sanitized Brining container. Stir, add Ham Steaks and you are ready for curing under refrigeration. You want as much meat surface area as possible exposed to the Brine. Standing the steaks on end will work but don't make yourself crazy. Shingling is ok too. Make sure the meat is covered in Brine. A gallon ziptop bag of water will hold the meat down if needed. Using clean hands, shuffle the meat around and stir the Brine every 24 hours.
For 2" steaks, 14 days, longer if you wish, will get the cure to the center. To smoke, dry the meat well and place on cooling racks in front of an fan, turning every 20-30 minutes until the surface gets Tacky, forms a pellicle. Heat your smoker to 120°F, get smoke rolling. Add the steaks in a single layer and begin smoking. Bump the temperature 10° every hour , no higher than 180, and smoke until the Internal Temp (IT) reaches 145°F. Remove the Smoked Ham Steaks and eat or refrigerate until <40°F, wrap or vac-pack and freeze...JJ

BTW...The same curing process will work for Bacon. The difference is cure 7 days per inch thickness, then once a good Pellicle is formed Cold Smoke, No Heat, for as many hours as you like. I prefer 12 hours but you can smoke for several days if you wish. A couple of days rest in the refer before slicing, packing and freezing develops flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky