Bringing home an old family friend (Q-view)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Unseasonably warm weather today let me get a little bit done on the Casa Q!!! I poured 15 gallons of hot water in the body and was able to get the 3" of coastal sludge out of the bottom!! This also freed the lower vent!!! Yay!!! Next step will be removing the metal and tackling that. I still am thinking that I will be going the electrolysis method for cleaning it up, at least at first. If it cleans up okay, then I will paint it with high temp paint.

Before

After

Reactions: remmy700p

Well life gets in the way! I wanted to have this smoking by March! I did a good scrub today. Going to figure out a castered stand for it. Visit the BGE rep for some parts and hopefully be up and smokin by the end of this month.

Load up the camper, kids & smoker and come over to my place. We could easily fab a steel stand for it in an afternoon while smoking something dead in my smoker!

Serious man, then after we could take the sea Jet out for a spin :-)

Jetman

Late to the party on this story, but a fine one it is and I'm happy that it is still coming together for you sir. Best of fortunes on the completed resurection of this memory maker and fine cooker.  

Load up the camper, kids & smoker and come over to my place. We could easily fab a steel stand for it in an afternoon while smoking something dead in my smoker!

Jetman

Dan I'll take you up on that offer. My boys are off to the moms on Monday for the summer break so I'll cruise up solo. Probably bring the KIA and a tent!!! PM me your number and I'll give you a call.

Thanks,

Case

Jetman

Dan I'll take you up on that offer. My boys are off to the moms on Monday for the summer break so I'll cruise up solo. Probably bring the KIA and a tent!!! PM me your number and I'll give you a call.

Thanks,

Case

I took Jetman Dan up on his offer to come up and work on the Casa Q this weekend. We fabbed a new base for the Casa, and wire brushed the compression bands and hinge unit. The bends are pretty pitted, which is actually pretty cool. They have that "hammered" metal look. I am planning on having all the old and new parts Powder Coated. I also considered maybe using "Liquid Stainless Steel" but it only has a temp rating of 300*

We started the weekend with smoked Scarbelly wings! You can see Dan's portable pizza oven and to the right his file cabinet smoker.

Tried the double again. Once again not enough heat. In fact I couldn't even get a single pot to cruise where I would like it.

I got pretty excited when I saw Dan had a really big freezer!

We ended up finishing these on the grill. Still tasty!

Up early Fathers day morning and ready to fab up the stand. My youngest was with me and ready to help.

Here's the bands all cleaned up and ready for finish

Dirtsailor rolling some banding for the base

My helper found more interesting things to do outside the shop!

There's the base ready for the casters. Drilled and tapped the mounting holes so that they can be removed for finishing. The base is 1/2" steel. Weighs more than the Casa Q I think!!!

Coffee anyone???

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: remmy700p
Parts and pieces are going to the powder coat shop today!!! One week lead time! Now to finalize the fire box adaptation.

I can still fab a steel fire basket. If we make it out of Stainless expanded metal, it would last a lifetime but not this weekend, just invited to go Halibut fishing Saturday
sausage.gif

Jetman<<<

I can still fab a steel fire basket. If we make it out of Stainless expanded metal, it would last a lifetime but not this weekend, just invited to go Halibut fishing Saturday
sausage.gif

Jetman<<<

Catch me one too!! Are you going with Lee? I almost thought about leaving the ceramic one with you. I have a line on some expanded for free. I will check it out and see if it would fit. I was thinking of forming it around the ceramic basket so that the metal just cradles it. That way you get the benefits of the ceramic basket too. I would want to weld feet to it so that the support is better though. I'll play with it and see if  Ican come up with a good plan. Prefab and cut the parts so all we have to do is weld it.

Looking great! Looks like yall had a bunch of "Man Fun" there. (can almost here the Tim the Tool Man yell)

Kat

Last edited:
Looking great! Looks like yall had a bunch of "Man Fun" there. (can almost here the Tim the Tool Man yell)

Kat
Smoking, metal working, tractors, oh and Electricity to boot! There was some experimenting going on with sign a sign ballast, wires and electricity to create a homemade Jacobs ladder too... Yeah pretty much a guys weekend!

Last night I dropped off all the parts at the powder coating shop, along with a 55 gallon drum for my UDS build. $125 to do all, including blasting the entire drum and coating the exterior of it too.

Got a call from the Powder coater and the parts are done
yahoo.gif
!!! I won't be able to pick up until Friday though because of work!!!!!!!!!!!
th_crybaby2.gif

I did a bit of work on the Casa Q this last weekend. I got all the parts back from the powder coater. I decided that I needed to give it a good scrubbing to get the rust stains off. I carefully drilled holes in the firebox and wired it back together using stainless steel wire. I plan on putting a support base under the firebox. I will build it out of expanded metal and I will use bolts for legs. I was going to bolt the hinge straps on, but I managed to not get the right length bolts. Measured those so now I can go to the hardware store again...

The pitting from years of rust gave the metal a neat hammered finish.

The firebox was in 6 pieces.

Wired together

That's where it goes. There's a lip in there that it hangs on.

Looking Good, impressed with the powder coat job, yes the rust pitting makes a cool effect under the color!

JetMan<<<

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky