Bring Smoker inside during cold weather?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ace864

Original poster
Dec 31, 2015
Kansas City
Hi all, I have a new MES 40 and I'm wondering if I should bring it in from the cold. Winter has finally hit here in Kansas and we're getting more snow. I have a cover, but not sure if that's enough.

I have an attached garage i could put it in. It's not heated but it's warmer than outside. Then just carry it out when I use it. I'd like to keep from moving it around as much as possible which is why I'm asking.

Thanks

I would bring it in, not so much just because the cold but to keep it brom getting wet and then freezing. Don't imagine that would be good for it. But thats just my .02, it doesn't snow very often around here.

Smoke it up
William

One thing I learned from storing a Lodge Sportsman, which is like a very heavy-duty hibachi: temperature swings will make the metal sweat like a cold beverage, and rust. I had it in a plastic tub with a lid, and it still rusted. That can't be good for an electric rig. Try to keep it at a steady temperature.

Last edited:
Reactions: ace864
The cover that comes with the MES isnt waterproof.  I would store your smoker undercover vs using the stock cover.

In the winter, my gut says to bring it inside.  That's what Ive done, primarily because I'm worried about the LCD screen on the Bluetooth model.  Im worried it will freeze and not work next summer, at which point there will be no way to program the smoker.

This will be the first winter with the new MES units.  Some guys are storing them outside.  Im waiting to see if anyone had problems.  So far so good. 

Reactions: ace864
The cover that comes with the MES isnt waterproof.  I would store your smoker undercover vs using the stock cover.

In the winter, my gut says to bring it inside.  That's what Ive done, primarily because I'm worried about the LCD screen on the Bluetooth model.  Im worried it will freeze and not work next summer, at which point there will be no way to program the smoker.

This will be the first winter with the new MES units.  Some guys are storing them outside.  Im waiting to see if anyone had problems.  So far so good. 

Thanks everybody for the advice. Mummel I bought a different cover for it but would still rather not test it. The control unit is a point I didn't think of though. I only have the remote kind, not Bluetooth, but it's only held on with 2 screws.

I think I'll bring it in the garage but since it's not heated I'll also take the control unit off and bring it in the house. It'll only take 30 seconds to reconnect it. Thanks everybody for the advice

I have my MES30 on a wheeled cart in my garage. That way I can roll it out to just under the eaves, when it's raining here (which it usually is.)

My mes 40 stays outside 24-7-365. Granted it's under the eave of the house, but that's it. Only problem I ever had is if it's real cold, well below 0, it needs to be warmed up inside for about an hour before it will work.

My mes 40 stays outside 24-7-365. Granted it's under the eave of the house, but that's it. Only problem I ever had is if it's real cold, well below 0, it needs to be warmed up inside for about an hour before it will work.
What do you mean wont work?  Cant turn on?  Cant heat up?

Me too. I have the Gen 1 MES 40 described. I put a Glad plastic container over the electronics and a brick to hold it on, no cover. Spent 4 years on my apartment balcony, rain, shine and multiple feet of snow. I never had an issue. There are a few threads about Gen 1 smokers showing an error code of E and 3-4 digits, I forget they are so infrequent, during very low, <20°F, temps. The fix in every case was warming the interior and electronics with a Hair Dryer. I now have a house with a garage and plan to store there. Not necessarily needed but I can do that now...JJ

Last edited:
I just received my new MES 40 bluetooth a few weeks ago.  When I brought it home from Christmas I kept it inside my house for a while until my smoker cover from Cabelas came in.  This was no big deal because I hadn't cooked with it yet so there was no smoke smell and it fit perfectly in my door. 

Now however I've started cooking with it so I have no intentions of bringing it back inside.  I don't have anywhere to store my smoker except on my front porch that has a roof on it, but still exposed to the elements.  I'm hoping that with the MES cover on it and it pushed up against the house to limit some precip from hitting it... It will fair the cold winter and other elements.  

When I had my MES analog it seemed to get along ok under the cover... But then again, it didn't have the fancy digital stuff on it.. :/ 

My 2 MES40's without Bluetooth stays outside with a cover over it unless I know it's going to rain or snow. Then, I bring them into the garage since they has wheels. I run an online jerky store so even if it's raining or snowing, I'm smokin. I keep the garage door open and as close to the eve of the house as possible, then fire up the industrial fan to blow the smoke outside. When I have the funds, I'll be getting a 10x12 shed to turn into a smokehouse and prep area with proper ventilation.

Last edited:
I'm actually getting ready to try my reconditioned MES40 with some Salmon this coming Sunday.  Because it's suppose to rain, I'm working on an exhaust vent for it, so it can stay inside my workshop yet, spew it's exhaust outside.

Reactions: pinebarrensbbq
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky