Brined and Smoked Whole Roasted Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jaina

Original poster
Aug 1, 2019
Start with a 2-1/2 lb whole chicken. Remove packet from cavity and discard. Rinse inside and out. Pat dry. Optional: Truss chicken to help it retain its shape and cook evenly. Make brine: 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1 cup dark brown sugar, 1 gallon water. Be sure salt and sugar are completely dissolved. Submerge chicken completely in brine, weighing it down if needed. Cover. Refrigerate. Let marinate for 24 hours. Remove from brine. Pat dry. Sprinkle generously with your choice of rub. Set your smoker to low heat - about 225 degrees. Roast until chicken temps to 165 degrees in the thigh. This will take 2 to 3 hours at least. Longer for larger birds. Skin should be a dark, golden color. To keep track of chicken temp AND smoker temp, the Vinsic wireless BBQ thermometer is highly recommended. It's available on Amazon and eBay, where it's well under $20. Great little gizmo! I have a Traeger Bronson 20 and use Traeger Signature pellets.

Reactions: Jabiru
Sounds good, but why are you discarding the packet from the cavity? Chopped up they can be a good addition to a gravy. If you don't like them, your dog, or neighbors dog if you don't have one, would love those tasty treats. I imagine a cat might like them also.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky