Brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kit s

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 2, 2017
Messed up state of California
So wet or dry?
Seen both types pf brine here. Is it the type of meat that dictates your preference? Maybe the cure difference? The cut of meat? Your intended product for use?
I mean both work, and I am just curious of what type brine you would use on pork, fish, birds, and beef?
Smoke or cooking times I figure depends on cold vs. hot. Type of device used in process etc.
but the brine is a whole different cat.
Curious me.:rolleyes:

My rule for non-fish meats:
-if intended for cooking and if the final product is to be moist and juicy - wet cure (cooked ham, chops, birds)
- if the meat is to be air dryed or fried to a crunchy finish - dry cure (dry ham, bresaola, pancetta, bacon, coppa, lomo)

Reactions: kit s
Depends on what "Brine" you're talking about.
Some call "Wet Curing" a Brine, but I only call a Brine as to what I put Chicken Breasts or a Turkey in to help to keep it from drying out when Smoking or cooking. (No cure involved)

If you're talking about a "Curing Brine", there are many reasons why different people choose Dry or Wet on various meats.

Bear

Either one will work in just about any situation.
Personally I prefer a dry cure, unless the meat is real thick, over 3" thick.
Then I use a brine cure, cause I inject the brine into the meat so it cures from the inside out & the outside in.
Al

Reactions: kit s
Depends on what "Brine" you're talking about.
Some call "Wet Curing" a Brine, but I only call a Brine as to what I put Chicken Breasts or a Turkey in to help to keep it from drying out when Smoking or cooking. (No cure involved)

If you're talking about a "Curing Brine", there are many reasons why different people choose Dry or Wet on various meats.

Bear
Agree

When i make jerky, i don't call it brining, but i cure in a wet marinade for 3-7 days. i mix some wet and dry ingredients as well as cure #1 and massage the meat every 12 hours or so and rotate/move it around at that time. i keep it all in the fridge.
View media item 547411
When i doing turkey or chicken, sometimes i put what would be a brining solution (usually something flavored like creole butter or other flavored marinade) and inject into the bird before cooking/smoking. Sometimes I like to brine before for 4-24 hours in a brine solution depending on how big the pieces or the whole bird is.

When i do ribs or CSR's or even beef roast i will put a rub (or Worcestershire and some seasoning) and this is a dry brine on the meat.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I have been using all different methods for the last 6 months or so . They all have a plus in my opinion , but it's got to the point that whole chickens , or chicken parts have to be brine cured . Just so good . Even if I'm grilling legs and thighs ,,, into a brine cure and injected .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky