Brand New 30" MES Door Seals Leaks Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bonzo

Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Chicago Area
Hi,
As we speak I am trying my first smoke with my new 30" MES. I am doing a beer can chicken and also smoked beans. I noticed there is plenty of smoke pouring out of the top on the smoker door (middle third). You can actually see into it. I tried tightening but that doesnt help that section of the door. Is this ok/normal?

Thanks

No, that's not normal. I just bought an MES and mine leaked a tiny bit at the top but I was able to correct that by tightening the door latch. I would call Masterbuilt and talk to them.
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

Good luck calling them!!! See if you can beat my record (think it was 30 or 40 some minutes on hold), before I finally gave up and hung up the phone.

It should shut pretty well. Make sure the gaskets are straight, etc and that the hinges are centered and snugged, and adjust the tightness on the door lock if needed. MES uses the door seal area for "excess" smoke leaks, so if you have the vent all the way open you shouldn't be having much smoke leak from the door.

Is it warped if you look at it from the side or top?

Call Masterbuilt if that doesn't fix it. For the most part they have pretty good customer service. Last week they had some phone issues evidently.

I've had mine now for 2 years and she's smoked out the door since day one. I've tried to modify the door but only to go back to the original setup and learn to live with it. Good luck on the phone call to Masterbuilt.
Greg

Clean the door gasket, right before you start a smoke wet it with a damp cloth again, also wipe the metal housing door area, it will adhere a litter better to the metal. You can also try pushing against the door frame a little to see if you can get the area that leaks to seal a little better.

I have noticed a little leakage from time to time, but it seems that after it heats up, the heat helps the parts to expand slightly and seal better.

An easy self fix would be to run a bead of high heat sealant along the door's gasket and before closing and latching the door put a sheet of Saran Wrap in between the door and the body of the MES, then close and latch the door and let the sealant dry.

A little leak is not uncommon. Your's sounds like a problem. Make sure the door gasket is seated in the little posts and in the proper place. Unless they really beefed it up on the new models the gasket set up is a big weak.

I'm just reading backwards in time to see what has been going on and saw this, which is probably a dead issue but I used fiberglass rope and stove cement from a wood stove store.
d9a02dda_sausagebars002.jpg

I bought a MES 30" today and assembled it.....I have not fired it up yet....I notice that the whole bottom of the door does not seal at all.....it has a gap of about 1/4 inch, maybe a little more. The top and sides look to seal OK. The latch is good and tight. What should I do?

Post pictures. :D

Seriously, if adjusting the latch can't get the bottom to pull closed, but the top is tight, I wonder if you can adjust the hinges to make the door fit square and even.

Phoned in.

Post pictures. :D
Seriously, if adjusting the latch can't get the bottom to pull closed, but the top is tight, I wonder if you can adjust the hinges to make the door fit square and even.
Phoned in.
post some pics tomorrow....really would like to fix it, I got the very last one they had at Gander on sale.....can you believe that one guy came in and bought 7 at one time, dropped big $$$ !!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky