Boston Butt Pulled Pork (Step by Step)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi everyone, long time listener, first time caller. [emoji]128512[/emoji]  Welcome!  
welcome1.gif

I've had my MES30 for the better part of a year now. Reading this forum has helped me learn so much and allowed us to have some great smokes (many thanks)

So far I've done ribs, wings and Boston butt. This weekend will be my first time smoking (2) butts at the same time (9lb and 8.5lb) and I have a few questions:

1). Does it matter if the top butt drips onto the lower one? Should I try to offset them left-right?  That's fine---You could let the top one drip on the 2nd one, and then catch the drips in a pan below or under the second one.

2). Should I swap spots at any point during the cooking? You could if the one is way ahead of the other in Internal Temp, but you don't have to. You could also remove the one before the other, if it's done sooner.

3). I'm using an aluminum BBQ pan on the bottom rack to catch the drippings. Do I still need the water pan in there?  The water pan should always be in place, but don't put water in it.

4). I'm thinking of starting at 8pm Friday night and smoking until midnight (4 hours) then going to sleep and letting it cook. I seem to average around 2 hours per lb at 225*-230*. This hopefully gets me done around 2pm Sat, party is around 4-5pm. I will put it in a cooler and shred when I get there. Question is, if for some reason I'm not done by 2, is It cool to crank up the heat to push them along and what temp would you go to? Personally, I never smoke when I'm away or sleeping, but you can go to 275° to finish it quicker, once you have enough smoke on it.

My apologies for so many questions, I'm just hoping to do my best for the party.

Thanks and take care!   

Reactions: verdade
Thanks Bear!

I'm going to sleep and trust in my new Thermoworks Smoke thermometer. The remote will be sitting on the nightstand just in case it reaches temp before I wake.

I tried telling my friend who is hosting that I'm not worried at all about the flavor just my timing. I'm scientific in my approach and want everything to drop at the right time. (Although with these butts anything goes)

I don't plan on using foil - going for a bit more bark. What's the longest I could keep them wrapped up in a cooler just in case they finish early? I've read 3-4 is about max. I'll shred when I get there and use SoFlaQuer's finishing sauce.

A thousand thanks my good man!

-

Stop showing off Bear. l.o.l.

As per usual it was a pleasure reading this S x S and collecting more info on the game of smoking.

Will have to put this one to the test while the wife's sailing the high seas.

Cheers from Down Under.

Thanks Bear!

I'm going to sleep and trust in my new Thermoworks Smoke thermometer. The remote will be sitting on the nightstand just in case it reaches temp before I wake.

I tried telling my friend who is hosting that I'm not worried at all about the flavor just my timing. I'm scientific in my approach and want everything to drop at the right time. (Although with these butts anything goes)

I don't plan on using foil - going for a bit more bark. What's the longest I could keep them wrapped up in a cooler just in case they finish early? I've read 3-4 is about max. I'll shred when I get there and use SoFlaQuer's finishing sauce.

A thousand thanks my good man!

-
Sounds Great !!

I've heard of longer times staying plenty hot, but wrapped good should hold at least 3 to 4 hours without a problem.

I only mentioned the overnight thing, because I know of a few MES that went up in flames, so I'm not sure the "Smoke" would save my house.

If it was out in the yard or driveway, maybe, but my MES sits on a wood front porch, under a wood roof, attached to a 100% wood house.

Bear

Stop showing off Bear. l.o.l.

As per usual it was a pleasure reading this S x S and collecting more info on the game of smoking.

Will have to put this one to the test while the wife's sailing the high seas.

Cheers from Down Under.
Thank You Ian!!

Bear

I couldn't get any smoke under 245 degrees
1ffe90b7_image.jpeg
f48bf719_image.jpeg
1bc95dd0_image.jpeg
7afad675_image.jpeg
1f1f1877_image.jpeg
Something isn't right if you cant get smoke under 245. If that's the box temp, not the setting temp. I have the MES 30 and have discovered that if the outside air temp is hot, the box is so efficient it will hold 225 for a long time (or any temp really) which causes the element to not turn on as much.

I've had to turn my temp setting up to get smoke, but it wasn't the element or anything, its the fact that the box gets hot and stays hot from its good seal and insulation.

Try shading the box from the sun if its hot outside (I avoid smoking when outside temps are above 90 deg.) and opening the vent more or all the way. Masterbuilt tells you to keep the vent closer to closed...that's great for a cold day, but on a hot day it will not circulate enough air. You need to exchange more air on a hot day so lower temp air enters more freely. It uses more chips but allows the element to turn on more frequently.

Find a thermometer with a remote probe and feed it in to the box through the door gasket, don't trust the built-in one that came with the box, although mine is fairly accurate. See if you can verify that your read-out on the box jives with a second trusted thermometer. If your box is getting to 245, the element is clearly clicking on, but good to check to make sure the temps you think you are getting are correct.

Spending 13 hours to barely get smoke sucks. I just cooked a 9 lb butt in my pressure cooker yesterday in two hours and the meat was literally so tender it could be almost gummed rather than chewed. Sure, it doesn't have that bark I love so much...but 2 hours...ya know...I do cut it in to chunks, season them and brown them pretty hard to get that mailliard reaction before putting in the cooker, which kicks the flavor up to close to 10. Plus I use that meat for carnitas/pork tacos and slam it on the cast iron flat griddle after pressure cooking with some extra pork fat or lard and sear a nice crust, basically a Mexican double cook!. Next time I'll use alderwoood smoked salt instead of regular salt in the seasoning. Its not a total substitute for smoked...but damn...I didn't have to start at 6 am to eat by 7 or 8 and it was smack yo mamma good. I like Butt smoked, pressure cooked, slow cooker cooked, cut in to country ribs and smoked and grilled...ground...OK...I just like Butts...
icon_lol.gif

Great looking pull there too. Way to handle it.
thumb1%20copy.gif

Last edited:

Something isn't right if you cant get smoke under 245. If that's the box temp, not the setting temp. I have the MES 30 and have discovered that if the outside air temp is hot, the box is so efficient it will hold 225 for a long time (or any temp really) which causes the element to not turn on as much.

I've had to turn my temp setting up to get smoke, but it wasn't the element or anything, its the fact that the box gets hot and stays hot from its good seal and insulation.

Try shading the box from the sun if its hot outside (I avoid smoking when outside temps are above 90 deg.) and opening the vent more or all the way. Masterbuilt tells you to keep the vent closer to closed...that's great for a cold day, but on a hot day it will not circulate enough air. You need to exchange more air on a hot day so lower temp air enters more freely. It uses more chips but allows the element to turn on more frequently.

Find a thermometer with a remote probe and feed it in to the box through the door gasket, don't trust the built-in one that came with the box, although mine is fairly accurate. See if you can verify that your read-out on the box jives with a second trusted thermometer. If your box is getting to 245, the element is clearly clicking on, but good to check to make sure the temps you think you are getting are correct.

Spending 13 hours to barely get smoke sucks. I just cooked a 9 lb butt in my pressure cooker yesterday in two hours and the meat was literally so tender it could be almost gummed rather than chewed. Sure, it doesn't have that bark I love so much...but 2 hours...ya know. Plus I use that meat for carnitas/pork tacos and slam it on the cast iron flat griddle with some extra pork fat or lard and sear a nice crust. Next time I'll use alderwoood smoked salt instead of regular salt in the seasoning. Its not a total substitute for smoked...but damn...I didn't have to start at 6 am to eat by 7 or 8 and it was smack yo mamma good. I like Butt smoked, pressure cooked, slow cooker cooked, cut in to country ribs and smoked and grilled...ground...OK...I just like Butts...
icon_lol.gif

thumb1%20copy.gif
There are a few other things that could cause that to be worse than normal:

#1   The chip drawer could be slid in wrong with the bottom plate above the element instead of below the element.

#2   An extra piece of metal between the element & the chip drawer (Some were built like this a long time ago).

#3   The bottom of the chip drawer isn't close enough to the heating element.

But there really isn't much reason to play around when we can just get an AMNPS & smoke happily ever after.

Bear

Spending 13 hours to barely get smoke sucks. I just cooked a 9 lb butt in my pressure cooker yesterday in two hours and the meat was literally so tender it could be almost gummed rather than chewed. Sure, it doesn't have that bark I love so much...but 2 hours...ya know...I do cut it in to chunks, season them and brown them pretty hard to get that mailliard reaction before putting in the cooker, which kicks the flavor up to close to 10. Plus I use that meat for carnitas/pork tacos and slam it on the cast iron flat griddle after pressure cooking with some extra pork fat or lard and sear a nice crust, basically a Mexican double cook!. Next time I'll use alderwoood smoked salt instead of regular salt in the seasoning. Its not a total substitute for smoked...but damn...I didn't have to start at 6 am to eat by 7 or 8 and it was smack yo mamma good. I like Butt smoked, pressure cooked, slow cooker cooked, cut in to country ribs and smoked and grilled...ground...OK...I just like Butts...:icon_lol:

thumb1%20copy.gif

There are a few other things that could cause that to be worse than normal:
#1   The chip drawer could be slid in wrong with the bottom plate above the element instead of below the element.
#2   An extra piece of metal between the element & the chip drawer (Some were built like this a long time ago).
#3   The bottom of the chip drawer isn't close enough to the heating element.

But there really isn't much reason to play around when we can just get an AMNPS & smoke happily ever after.

Bear

Thank you both for the assistance. I do need to get a thermometer like I have seen mentioned on the site many times that has a dual read, or just a second one. I do have a decent remote style one with a meat probe. I did not use the built in probe in the meat, but I did keep checking what it said the temp of that probe was in the smoker, and it was Farley consistent with what the readout said that the box was at. But, I hear what you are saying.... They could possibly both be way off. And.. It definitely was hot out that day, and I did not have it in the shade. Also, I had the vent nearly wide open most of the time, and the chip loader pulled out a ways too.

To Bear's points.... I will have to look closer at the chip drawer. I didn't think it was possible for me to have it in wrong.... But.... Maybe! I have every intention to buy the AMNPS, so I agree that will be my answer.

Today, I bought 10 lbs of chicken hindquarters to try within the next couple of days. I will play around with the temps with another thermometer, and check the chip drawer just for shiggles. I figure I am only out my time and about $5 for chicken to practice.

Thanks again! I really appreciate you both taking the time to help me.

Last edited:

Why use the water pan at all for the pulled pork?   Is it OK to not put the water pan in the smoker unless you intend to add liquid to it?
The book says to put it in place all the time, and I agree, because it breaks up the Direct heat from the heating element going to your food.

I just cover mine with foil & keep it in there all the time. Foil makes it easier to keep clean.

I still never use the bottom rack, because it's too close to the Heating element.

Bear

Thank you both for the assistance. I do need to get a thermometer like I have seen mentioned on the site many times that has a dual read, or just a second one. I do have a decent remote style one with a meat probe. I did not use the built in probe in the meat, but I did keep checking what it said the temp of that probe was in the smoker, and it was Farley consistent with what the readout said that the box was at. But, I hear what you are saying.... They could possibly both be way off. And.. It definitely was hot out that day, and I did not have it in the shade. Also, I had the vent nearly wide open most of the time, and the chip loader pulled out a ways too.

To Bear's points.... I will have to look closer at the chip drawer. I didn't think it was possible for me to have it in wrong.... But.... Maybe! I have every intention to buy the AMNPS, so I agree that will be my answer.

Today, I bought 10 lbs of chicken hindquarters to try within the next couple of days. I will play around with the temps with another thermometer, and check the chip drawer just for shiggles. I figure I am only out my time and about $5 for chicken to practice.

Thanks again! I really appreciate you both taking the time to help me.
Just so you know that wasn't an insult about the chip drawer being in wrong.

I Was helping a guy one time, along with a couple others.

I asked him to show a Pic of his Chip Drawer.

When he did, I noticed burn marks on it at an unusual place, and asked him if he had that bottom flap above or below the heating element. He said he didn't know, but he'll check, because it did go in a little tightly. He checked and said he had it above. He put it in with that flap below & the chips started burning much earlier.

Bear

Just so you know that wasn't an insult about the chip drawer being in wrong.
When he did, I noticed burn marks on it at an unusual place, and asked him if he had that bottom flap above or below the heating element. He said he didn't know, but he'll check, because it did go in a little tightly. He checked and said he had it above. He put it in with that flap below & the chips started burning much earlier.

Bear

Oh.. I absolutely didn't take it as an insult... I seriously thought maybe I did insert it wrong. But.... I checked and I have it in the only way it can go in.

As for the temp in my smoker... I definitely need to buy a decent thermometer. My cooking probe thermometer was always 30-60 degrees hotter than the readout. Not sure dangling that inside is an accurate read as well. Can you suggest a decent thermometer to monitor the inside of the box?

Btw... I did find it kinda odd today, when I called Masterbuilt just to see if they could tell me the factory setting pin code to hook up the blue tooth. I was fairly certain I would never use it, but figured I would at least see if it works. The reply I got actually made me chuckle. The gal said..."oh, that doesn't work, so I can't help you with it. The company is trying to get a fix for it, but don't bother using it, cuz it doesn't work..and I don't know what pin it is asking for. Maybe it's written in the manual........ ". Which, it is not. Again... I wasn't too concerned but found it funny.

Oh.. I absolutely didn't take it as an insult... I seriously thought maybe I did insert it wrong. But.... I checked and I have it in the only way it can go in.

As for the temp in my smoker... I definitely need to buy a decent thermometer. My cooking probe thermometer was always 30-60 degrees hotter than the readout. Not sure dangling that inside is an accurate read as well. Can you suggest a decent thermometer to monitor the inside of the box?

Btw... I did find it kinda odd today, when I called Masterbuilt just to see if they could tell me the factory setting pin code to hook up the blue tooth. I was fairly certain I would never use it, but figured I would at least see if it works. The reply I got actually made me chuckle. The gal said..."oh, that doesn't work, so I can't help you with it. The company is trying to get a fix for it, but don't bother using it, cuz it doesn't work..and I don't know what pin it is asking for. Maybe it's written in the manual........ ". Which, it is not. Again... I wasn't too concerned but found it funny.
For the money, I love my Maverick ET-732. It's also easy to check in Boiling water to make sure it's accurate.

It's easy to use, Accurate, and can see through most things, except my Steel Front door.

Some guys like the ET-733, but I find it a PITA for an old guy to set up.

Bear

Bear
It goes below? I don't think mine will do that. Also, if the chips contacted the heating element directly, I would think they'd burst into flames. That sucker is intensely hot.

However, you are the ultimate authority on this, so I'm in no position to argue. I did just look very closely at the instructions and diagrams in the MES instruction book, and they don't make it clear at all where the flap should go.

It goes below? I don't think mine will do that. Also, if the chips contacted the heating element directly, I would think they'd burst into flames. That sucker is intensely hot.

However, you are the ultimate authority on this, so I'm in no position to argue. I did just look very closely at the instructions and diagrams in the MES instruction book, and they don't make it clear at all where the flap should go.
OK Guys, This is the Chip drawer I was talking about, where the owner had it in wrong, and a couple comments from back then:

It is possible that you don't have your chip drawer in properly.

If it looks like the one below, make sure the large part of the drawer slides under the Heating element, and the drawer goes above it, with the heating element sandwiched in between:

So.. The piece with the black scorch mark in the picture above goes under the heating element, and the drawer goes above the element. 

Bear

Well, I started my smoke last Friday night at 9. Stayed up until 2, went to bed with the remote thermometer on the nightstand. I figured that if my MES had a problem (fire? Thanks Bear - haha) the alarm would go off.

I ran at 225 until it seemed like they were in a stall at 176 and 190,about 1:30 Saturday afternoon I kicked up the temp to 235. I had two butts, a 9lb and 8.5lb. My plan was about 2 hours per lb based on last couple of smokes. They started to climb and one finished at 2:30 the other at 3:30. All in all it turned out great and with near perfect timing. Thanks again everyone!

-

Last edited:
Looks Great Verdade!!

Nice Bark!!

And Cookies too!! MMMmmm......

Bear

Bear
I love the idea of the tray and tube style dust and pellet smoking implements, but buying a smoker that ain't smoking is the first issue in my humble opinion. The product should work, albeit with a learning curve. Otherwise an MES is a glorified insulated box with racks and an element. I would insist they make it work or insist they take it back or start spreading some bad mojo to warn others about the product. Masterbuilt has gone big time on advertising these days and selling a lot. I cant imagine everyone is having these problems, and I have learned some limitations to these boxes but there IS a learning curve that Masterbuilt is too stupid to help you with (foreign made products and no solid field testing). Buying a smoker, and then having to go out and buy a whole separate product with completely different fuel required to make the smoke the product should be making on its own, is a big fail for the MES. A person should only have to buy the smoker and a bag of chips and get on with it, but certainly never expect pro-results the first several times using it. I smoke like someone that knows what they are doing with my MES now usually. I'm a 35 year career welder and multi-metal fabricator by trade, I would have made my own smoker by now otherwise and not put up with the MES not working. I wanted the "easy button", not a new project.

Many moons ago I saw the first commercial version of what is now the MES and similar boxes. The metal shop I worked for built a prototype vertical box electric smoker for Wilbur Hardee, the founder of Hardee's. It was about 6 feet tall and we built it with stainless inner and outer liners, stainless racks and a good element and tray at the bottom. An associate of mine still today, helped design it; he and his did built smokers, grilles and fryers even more "moons ago" down in Louisiana...and then had their designs ripped off by manufacturers. That box worked the very first run but Wilbur did have to add some tweaks. That first test run smoke of a box full of chickens on the loading dock of our shop is when I learned you don't have to have an exotic BBQ sauce recipe to impress people...Wilbur went to the nearest grocery store, bought bottles of store brand BBQ basic sauce, store brand cider vinegar, and store brand hot sauce (much like Crystal, Louisiana or Texas Pete), mixed the three together to taste and it was better than anything most people were used to 25 years ago. Still today I do the same thing but using Sweet Baby Rays as my base for a basic standard BBQ sauce...easy as it gets. I'll never forget Wilbur Hardee, or his box that worked then. MES is doing the same thing, they just need to back the product better with lab/field tested customer service...probably wishful thinking since they seem to sell tons of these despite some problems some folks have with them. Its the price point that does it. You cant make the things for what they sell them for.

Last edited:
Well, I started my smoke last Friday night at 9. Stayed up until 2, went to bed with the remote thermometer on the nightstand. I figured that if my MES had a problem (fire? Thanks Bear - haha) the alarm would go off.

I ran at 225 until it seemed like they were in a stall at 176 and 190,about 1:30 Saturday afternoon I kicked up the temp to 235. I had two butts, a 9lb and 8.5lb. My plan was about 2 hours per lb based on last couple of smokes. They started to climb and one finished at 2:30 the other at 3:30. All in all it turned out great and with near perfect timing. Thanks again everyone!

-
Awesome looking bark! Am I correct in assuming you just let them run and did not cover at all?

Last edited:

I love the idea of the tray and tube style dust and pellet smoking implements, but buying a smoker that ain't smoking is the first issue in my humble opinion. The product should work, albeit with a learning curve. Otherwise an MES is a glorified insulated box with racks and an element. I would insist they make it work or insist they take it back or start spreading some bad mojo to warn others about the product. Masterbuilt has gone big time on advertising these days and selling a lot. I cant imagine everyone is having these problems, and I have learned some limitations to these boxes but there IS a learning curve that Masterbuilt is too stupid to help you with (foreign made products and no solid field testing). Buying a smoker, and then having to go out and buy a whole separate product with completely different fuel required to make the smoke the product should be making on its own, is a big fail for the MES. A person should only have to buy the smoker and a bag of chips and get on with it, but certainly never expect pro-results the first several times using it. I smoke like someone that knows what they are doing with my MES now usually. I'm a 35 year career welder and multi-metal fabricator by trade, I would have made my own smoker by now otherwise and not put up with the MES not working. I wanted the "easy button", not a new project.

Many moons ago I saw the first commercial version of what is now the MES and similar boxes. The metal shop I worked for built a prototype vertical box electric smoker for Wilbur Hardee, the founder of Hardee's. It was about 6 feet tall and we built it with stainless inner and outer liners, stainless racks and a good element and tray at the bottom. An associate of mine still today, helped design it; he and his did built smokers, grilles and fryers even more "moons ago" down in Louisiana...and then had their designs ripped off by manufacturers. That box worked the very first run but Wilbur did have to add some tweaks. That first test run smoke of a box full of chickens on the loading dock of our shop is when I learned you don't have to have an exotic BBQ sauce recipe to impress people...Wilbur went to the nearest grocery store, bought bottles of store brand BBQ basic sauce, store brand cider vinegar, and store brand hot sauce (much like Crystal, Louisiana or Texas Pete), mixed the three together to taste and it was better than anything most people were used to 25 years ago. Still today I do the same thing but using Sweet Baby Rays as my base for a basic standard BBQ sauce...easy as it gets. I'll never forget Wilbur Hardee, or his box that worked then. MES is doing the same thing, they just need to back the product better with lab/field tested customer service...probably wishful thinking since they seem to sell tons of these despite some problems some folks have with them. Its the price point that does it. You cant make the things for what they sell them for.
Exactly---It's the cost for what you get that keeps them going.

And I'd be happy if they would stop putting the Chip burner assembly in at all. I don't think any Electric Smoker has a built in Smoke system that works as good as an Amazing Smoker added to an MES.

Since it's conception, I believe they screwed up when they didn't make a deal with Todd, and just make a place in the bottom of their MES for the AMNPS to sit, with a good air intake right nearby.

I do the same thing with Rubs & Sauces.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky