Boston Butt Pulled Pork (Step by Step)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hey Bear, are there any pics or video for specifically using the AMNPS with the MES boxes?
Golly, there must be a hundred different posts. Here are just a few:
There are dozens and dozens more, but I got tired of cutting a pasting.

If you can't find what you want using this forum's search facility (which is not very good), you can instead use Google by restricting Google to search just this site, for instance:

"amnps mes site:http://www.smokingmeatforums.com"

That is what I used to find those links (don't include the quote marks).

Last edited:
Hey Jetsknicks1 -

Yeah I have found the bark to be better without any foil.  And I planned out my timing based on the previous smokes - this allowed me not to rush at all.

Thanks again!

-

Just watched the link for those methods, Great link, Thx for posting that, will work way better than the struggle I had to keep it going the first time. 

Just watched the link for those methods, Great link, Thx for posting that, will work way better than the struggle I had to keep it going the first time. 
I used to take 5 or 10 minutes to explain, every time somebody asked how to light the AMNPS. PITA

Now I just give that Link---Everybody likes it.

Bear

The book says to put it in place all the time, and I agree, because it breaks up the Direct heat from the heating element going to your food.

I just cover mine with foil & keep it in there all the time. Foil makes it easier to keep clean.

I still never use the bottom rack, because it's too close to the Heating element.

Bear
I follow Bear's advice on this, and it works great.  I started smoking almost two years ago, and thankfully, this site was one of the first I found.  The advice from Bear and others has been priceless!

A few months ago, I did add sand to my water pan as some recommended, and I cover it with heavy aluminum foil.  I can't really say whether it's great or not, but I *think* my temperatures recover much better now after I open the door to do anything.

And I don't use the bottom rack either.  In fact, early on, I asked Bear for his preferred order of racks, and I believe it's 2, 3, 1 (or 2, 1, 3, I need to find my notes on that, but they're at home, near my smoker), where "1" is the top rack.

I have let my smoker go while I slept, but now I'm a little more nervous, after reading some catch on fire!  I don't use the AMPNS, for what it's worth.

I follow Bear's advice on this, and it works great.  I started smoking almost two years ago, and thankfully, this site was one of the first I found.  The advice from Bear and others has been priceless!

A few months ago, I did add sand to my water pan as some recommended, and I cover it with heavy aluminum foil.  I can't really say whether it's great or not, but I *think* my temperatures recover much better now after I open the door to do anything.

And I don't use the bottom rack either.  In fact, early on, I asked Bear for his preferred order of racks, and I believe it's 2, 3, 1 (or 2, 1, 3, I need to find my notes on that, but they're at home, near my smoker), where "1" is the top rack.

I have let my smoker go while I slept, but now I'm a little more nervous, after reading some catch on fire!  I don't use the AMPNS, for what it's worth.
Hey Buddy---How you doing???

I thought about adding sand or Bricks to my water pan, but I figured it gets so cold up here in the Winter, my MES would have to work extra hard the first hour or more to heat the Sand or Bricks up, so I just leave it empty.

And for a 4 rack MES my preferences in order are #2, #1, #3.

Bear

Well, I'm in Texas, so ... :-)

Seriously, though, I can't tell whether the sand is helping.  It would be an interesting test to see if it affects the initial ramp up time on temperature and then whether it really helps with stabilizing temperatures.

In my case, temperatures often varied a lot between my Thermoworks probes and the MES readings, and I found that if I wrap the water pan in foil and extend the foil out near the walls (especially right below the MES probe), then I get almost perfect matching.  I leave the corners mostly up and open, though.

Yeah, life has kept me away from my smoker too much, but I'm finally getting to use it more now!  I also have a Weber 22" with a Slow and Sear, which I could use for smoking, but I use that more for wings and steaks.

Always good to hear from you, Bear!  Have a great day and weekend!

Well, I'm in Texas, so ... :-)

Seriously, though, I can't tell whether the sand is helping.  It would be an interesting test to see if it affects the initial ramp up time on temperature and then whether it really helps with stabilizing temperatures.

In my case, temperatures often varied a lot between my Thermoworks probes and the MES readings, and I found that if I wrap the water pan in foil and extend the foil out near the walls (especially right below the MES probe), then I get almost perfect matching.  I leave the corners mostly up and open, though.

Yeah, life has kept me away from my smoker too much, but I'm finally getting to use it more now!  I also have a Weber 22" with a Slow and Sear, which I could use for smoking, but I use that more for wings and steaks.

Always good to hear from you, Bear!  Have a great day and weekend!
Yeah---I ignore the MES reading, except to adjust the heat to get my Maverick to read what I want the Meat to sit in.

I think it depends mostly on where the meat & Maverick probe is to how different it is from the MES, and we can't move the MES sensor anyway.

Take Care now!!

Bear

A question for the group.....I put an aluminum pan under my Boston Butt (one try down) to catch the drippings, but when I did, there was no smoke generated from the wood. Once I removed the pan, the smoke started up (electric Masterbuilt). Does it have something to do with ventilation?

I don't think the pan has anything to do with lack of smoke.  I have used a pan for Boston Butt and beef brisket, both with good results.  Using my ThermoPro thermometer I have found my MES30 actual temperature to be 20 to 25 degrees cooler than what is indicated on the control.  By cranking the control up until it hits the desired temp shown on my TheroPro, I find that I generate a lot more smoke.  Have you calibrated your MES in this manner?  If not you may not have the heating element burning hot enough.

A question for the group.....I put an aluminum pan under my Boston Butt (one try down) to catch the drippings, but when I did, there was no smoke generated from the wood. Once I removed the pan, the smoke started up (electric Masterbuilt). Does it have something to do with ventilation?
The pan wouldn't effect the amount of smoke you get from your MES. When you opened the door to remove the pan, you caused the smoker to cool down. Then the Heat came on again & started the chips smoking again.

The thing that effects the smoke is the fact that the heating element is for both the heat & the smoke, so when your smoker reaches the set temp, the heat goes off, which eventually makes the chips stop smoking. What you should look into is the "AMNPS" (Smoke Generator). That's what most MES owners use to make perfect smoke in their MES units.

Bear

The pan wouldn't effect the amount of smoke you get from your MES. When you opened the door to remove the pan, you caused the smoker to cool down. Then the Heat came on again & started the chips smoking again.

The thing that effects the smoke is the fact that the heating element is for both the heat & the smoke, so when your smoker reaches the set temp, the heat goes off, which eventually makes the chips stop smoking. What you should look into is the "AMNPS" (Smoke Generator). That's what most MES owners use to make perfect smoke in their MES units.

Bear

Thank you!

What do you do when it is snowing, then sleeting, then icing, then raining...you find Bearcarver's step-by-step tutorial and make your second Boston Butt.

It came out awesome. Crazy long smoke times though...8.3 hours for a 3.8 pound Boston Butt (half of a big one).

Here are the pic's with Kudo's to Bearcarver
IMG_2806..JPG
Fresh out of the smoker

IMG_2807..JPG
60 seconds after done resting

IMG_2808.JPG
saving the juices for the next batch. It is in the fridge to make the grease hard and saving the juices.

What do you do when it is snowing, then sleeting, then icing, then raining...you find Bearcarver's step-by-step tutorial and make your second Boston Butt.

It came out awesome. Crazy long smoke times though...8.3 hours for a 3.8 pound Boston Butt (half of a big one).

Here are the pic's with Kudo's to Bearcarver
View attachment 349811
Fresh out of the smoker

View attachment 349813
60 seconds after done resting

View attachment 349814
saving the juices for the next batch. It is in the fridge to make the grease hard and saving the juices.

Now thats one sexy butt!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky