Bone In Turkey Breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jtn1965

Original poster
May 28, 2016
Hi I am going to be smoking a bone in turkey breast. Can anyone give me advice on time and temperature?

Thank you very much.

jtn1965

Sorry I don't know what kind of smoker you have.Please update your profile with location,it helps answering questions

Richie

Hi Richie,

I am using a Southern Country charcoal and wood smoker. I live near Houston, Texas.

Richie,

Thank you for the advice. I looked at your post and your mini looks similar to the smoker that I will be using. I have only the turkey breast but I am going to brine it tonight and smoke it tomorrow.

Thank you very much,

Johnny New

I do a 24 hour brine first. Pull it from the brine, dry it off very well and give it a light coat of olive oil. Four hours at 250 has given me consistent results for a 5-6# breast.

Thank you for the information. What do you use in your brine if I can ask?

Thank you very much,

Johnny New

I use 1/2 gallon of cold water, 1/2 cup of kosher salt and 1/2 cup of brown sugar as a basic brine. Now you can get creative. I add 4-5 cloves of crushed garlic and a big handful of fresh herbs along with some black pepper. You can do what you want.

The one caveat is that this recipe works for a 2 gallon ziplock bag. I can remove all the air so I have complete coverage with the brine.

Richie,

Thank you for the advice. I looked at your post and your mini looks similar to the smoker that I will be using. I have only the turkey breast but I am going to brine it tonight and smoke it tomorrow.

Thank you very much,

Johnny New
Welcome aboard, Johnny, from one Houston boy to another.

Curious why you want to brine the breast.  Unless it's a fresh one, it's likely been injected with some sort of solution already, so you're not really gaining anything.  If you do as Richie said--light coat of oil (or margarine) and then a seasoning rub--you're good to go.  Less time and less expense.  My $0.02.

Thank you for the information. What do you use in your brine if I can ask?

Thank you very much,

Johnny New
Johny I use just salt & Pepper very little,check to see if the bird is enhanced ( most are they have added liquid mostly being a salt base) 

You can give it just a rub of oil and salt & pepper. I do not recommend sugar it can burn 

Good luck please post some pics when it is done

Richie

Welcome aboard, Johnny, from one Houston boy to another.

Curious why you want to brine the breast.  Unless it's a fresh one, it's likely been injected with some sort of solution already, so you're not really gaining anything.  If you do as Richie said--light coat of oil (or margarine) and then a seasoning rub--you're good to go.  Less time and less expense.  My $0.02.

Good point. The breasts I use are not enhanced.

Good point. The breasts I use are not enhanced.
Go back and look at all the Thanksgiving posts where folks were letting their frozen turkeys--replete with solutions added--thaw out so that they could then let them soak in brine.  Then questioned how long to let them brine before injecting.

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
hit.gif
head-wall.gif

Go back and look at all the Thanksgiving posts where folks were letting their frozen turkeys--replete with solutions added--thaw out so that they could then let them soak in brine.  Then questioned how long to let them brine before injecting.

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :hit: :head-wall:

[emoji]128514[/emoji]

The sad part is that I get some great background flavors from the garlic and herbs that wouldn't be there if the meat were already brined. It pays to read the label.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky