Time and temp to smoke 5 lb boneless turkey breast?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sandy5

Original poster
Nov 19, 2023
Spent some time looking online myself, but I get such mixed info. Some sites saying anywhere from 20-40 minutes per lb. So for anyone who has already smoked a 5lb boneless turkey breast, how long at 225?

Reactions: JLeonard
No help here, but welcome from New Mexico.

Do you have a time constraint?
You can always cook early and and then keep warm until serving.

It's really not about time but it is about temp. Got one about that size in the smoker now and it's at 147. When it reaches 160 I'm going to pull it and let it have a nice long rest. In my case the meat is going into a pot pie for Thanksgiving as my dad at 96 will only be able to enjoy it that way. But generally speaking 165 is done when it comes to breast meat.

It's really not about time but it is about temp. Got one about that size in the smoker now and it's at 147. When it reaches 160 I'm going to pull it and let it have a nice long rest. In my case the meat is going into a pot pie for Thanksgiving as my dad at 96 will only be able to enjoy it that way. But generally speaking 165 is done when it comes to breast meat.
I think he wants a general time for planning.

I think he wants a general time for planning.
Yes, I understand it is about reaching a temperature, but like the other person responded, I was indeed trying to plan out a ballpark of time these take to cook so I could plan my day accordingly while also cooking many other side dishes.

Depending on how accurate your smoker is - a little over 3hrs. Don't expect crispy skin at 225

Chris

Probably 3 or 4 hours but start early since it can be held in a cooler if it is done early. I used to smoke my turkey on Thanksgiving day but have learned that it is best done a day ahead so there are no surprises come meal time. Turkey reheats well so nobody will know the difference.

Reactions: JLeonard
Probably 3 or 4 hours but start early since it can be held in a cooler if it is done early. I used to smoke my turkey on Thanksgiving day but have learned that it is best done a day ahead so there are no surprises come meal time. Turkey reheats well so nobody will know the difference.
Never tried this with turkey. Do you just reheat whole in the oven?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky