Bone in Chuck roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

louisvillesmoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 30, 2017
Got this today at the local farmers market. 4 lb bone in Chuck roast. It's different in that it has the dimensions more like a brisket flat than your typical thick chuck roast. About 1.5" thick uniformly throughout.

I'm curious in your thoughts on about how long I should plan on this sucker taking for tomorrow.

Here's the details. Hope to eat around 430. Cook around 250 in my charcoal vertical smoker. Will wrap around 165 in aluminum foil with some sliced onions and drippings. Plan is to pull it apart for sandwiches. I'm thinking if I plan on at least 11 hours from start time to eat time that should be enough. I can let it rest awhile if need be.

What would you guys do?
20190622_113229.jpg
20190622_113214.jpg

I would add a little liquid in the pan. At 250* any drippings might burn up. I also like to put the meat on a wire rack when foiling in a disposable pan so it's not sitting directly in the juices. Common liquids are beef broth, beer or onion soup.

Chris

Your plan to smoke and then foil with liquid/onions is a good one.
At 250° I'd say about 1.5 hours per pound on average, less once it's wrapped.

I'd smoke till about 165°-170°, get a good bark and then wrap.
I wouldn't check it again till about 200°, see how tender it probes.

Chris's suggestion to pan on a rack with a little liquid is a solid method.
And that pan can make some damned good Au jus, sauce or gravy that'd go great on sammies.

sear the living heck outta it than inject with beef broth and rub with S&P and follow what ^ said.

Good stuff guys. Dry rubbed with 2:1 Pepper to Salt for the fridge overnight. Figured I'll make sure it gets on the smoker around 7am. Should be plenty of time in case it goes longer (famous last words I know)

20190622_180446.jpg

I'd start it as soon as you wake up and when it's done wrap in an old blanket and hold in a well insulated cooler for hours it will stay plenty hot.

Last edited:
Good stuff guys. Dry rubbed with 2:1 Pepper to Salt for the fridge overnight. Figured I'll make sure it gets on the smoker around 7am. Should be plenty of time in case it goes longer (famous last words I know)

View attachment 398671

I cooked a 4.4 boneless chuck last week @275 for 7 1/2 hours (1 3/4 hours per pound), and it still needed another hour (or two) on the smoker.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...ap-with-foil-or-paper-maybe-use-a-pan.287908/

The lesson I’m slowly learning is you can hold finished meat almost indefinitely, but the laws of physics don’t cease to exist on my smoker :emoji_confused:

1arhq5.jpg

So I'm about 160 after one hour in. Can't wrap yet because it doesn't even have a good bark yet. This could get interesting

Is your prob close to the bone and have you tested it in boiling water? that seems pretty quick to get up to 160* already unless it stalls out for a while you might have to sear it under the broiler to get the bark you're looking for.
I've never had a Chucky finish of that quickly.

So almost two hours in and it is stalling. Went up to 163, dropped to 158 now back to 161.

I double checked it with another probe and they were nearly identical. I think it's just the thin cut. I'm going to try to keep the temp around 240 instead of 250.

If that's the case and you want more bark, I'd try to hold the smoke temp around 225*

So it turned out pretty well despite some strange temperature situations. Next time I'll make sure I don't get something so thin. The probe was too close to the edge and so it was picking up the radiant heat. The meat temperature probe dropped to 145 at one poijt after I let the smoker drop in the low 200s for awhile. Then it rose very fast again when the heat went back up. I even re positioned it and it did the same thing. It went about five hours before the wrap and another 3.5 post wrap. At 206 most of it probed like butter so I let it rest for an hour before pulling. Very good!
20190623_160134.jpg
20190623_172018.jpg

Holy cow!!!
Damn, brother that looks flip'in fantastic.
You knew what you were doing the whole time, heck you didn't need us. I almost bought a few chuck's today just because of you. But, the little redhead'ed princess said she rather have pulled pork and pork enchilada's with the left overs on her days of which are M-T-Wed. So I ran down to the store and picked up a 10lb butt and fired up the UDS.

Personally I'd choose beef or bison over P.P any day, butt* you gotta keep the little lady happy.
That Chucky you smoke'd up looks amazing bro, you got it dialed in.

Points for sure!!!!!
Lick'in my lips!!!:emoji_yum:
Dan:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Last edited:
Looks like a fine example of pulled beef. Enjoy...

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky