Bizarre Foods! Appalachian Cooking!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pignit

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Just a note for those of you who might be interested. I was asked to post this so anyone who wanted to watch would know when it was on.

Back around Christmas Red got a call from a friend asking us to attend a dinner of authentic Appalachian foods at her house. Andrew Zimmern from Bizarre Foods was doing a special on foods of Appalachia and they would be filming a segment of it there at her cabin in Pittman Center. Of course who could turn down barbequed possum, fried raccoon, bear roast with taters and all the trimmins. Not me.

Anyway we enjoyed a day with the crew of Bizarre Foods and got to meet Andrew Zimmern. Very nice person. His crew were top notch people and it was an incredible day. The episode we were at is going to be on the Travel Channel at 10:00 PM on Tuesday the 5th if any of you are interested in tuning in. We haven't seen it yet so we don't know how much of our mugs will make it to the finished show but these are all friends of mine, from the host, the cooks and the musicians. I have spotted Red in the commercial for the show. Should be fun to watch. Barbequed possum tastes just like chicken by the way.

PA291897.jpg

LOL Pig, I just saw the commercial on the travel channel and was going to pm ya to see if that was the show we talked about months ago....thanks for the heads up.

That had to be real interesting!! I'll have to watch the show. My wife's dad came from Franklin, NC. They had some interesting things to eat too.

Got the recorder set, thanks man. Glad you finally posted a REAL pic of Red. Nice looking gal you have there.
icon_wink.gif

I need Red's email, I am going to send her a past pic that you posted of her, and I hope she kicks your butt.
icon_lol.gif

That's not Red in the picture...... that's her sister... yea.... that's who it is. They don't look anything alike. And Red don't like me hangin out with her sister either so for my sake... might want to just leave this one alone.
Thanks man!

Can't wait to see this one!
I love Bizarre Foods, usually. Sometimes that guy goes a bit too far.
Set up the DVR to record but I'll be watching it live too.
How did the possum, coon and bear taste?
Thanks for posting this, I probably would have completely forgot to watch it since it's on Travel Channel.
Gonna let my sister know also, her and her husband love to watch it so I'll have to tell her I know a guy who was on the show.

The possum was cooked on the grill and bbqd and tasted like chicken. The coon was baked I think and it tasted like chicken to me too. The bear was done in a roast with taters and carrots and a gravy and it was one of the best dishes I've ever eaten. It was like a very tender flavorful roast.

Got my recorder set.

Hey Dave I think I saw you behind the guy cooking the racoon's on the commercial.
And maybe seen a glimps of Red too, but not sure.
it's kind of fun looking for ya, its like a live version of where's Waldo.

That's funny! I'm standin to the left of the guy cookin the possum on the grill. You can barely see me. Red is dancin to the music on the porch. We slowed it down so we could make us out. Goes by pretty quick. Hope we'll see more of us tonight. Where's Waldo... that's funny!

I am sure going to try and catch this and would like to look for you as well. Are you the one in the picture with hair on the chin? As a side note, if it is you and that is Red on the other end you kind of "over-kicked your coverage."
tongue.gif
Just my opinion of course.
icon_redface.gif

Possum raccoon whats the difference, both taste like chicken i heard. LOL
HAHAHA ok I just saw Red..she looks better then the pic you posted

Did I miss it? I tried to check it out last night but that Dhani fellow was on instead. I'm in Cali so maybe it was on Appalachian time?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky