Best Q restaurants in the world

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'll third that! You'd think you could find some decent Q in Detroit and there may be, but I've not seen any. I'm open for suggestion Detroiters!

Lou

and many more not on the list. Some good, some just don't excite my palate.
One particular place in NC I ate at claimed BBQ ribs as their specialty. After eating I asked about their smoker..like where was it as I didn't see it. Was told they don't smoke their ribs they cook em in the ovens in the back!! Paleeaasse!

I agree the list is overambitious. I would aslo agree it is better done at home but I would say that is because it is more then just the end result its the whole process. I think if you judge commercial to homedone then it all pales in comparrison, just can't mass produce ANY food and get that home made taste and feel. But that doesn't mean it aint good!

Obviously if here I love eating and cooking Q. As I travel for a living I make it a point to try out Q whenever I can. I like seeing how other areas do Q, and since I'm not able to take my smoker with me I need my fix. LOL

My home is the Q capital of Tejas Lockhart! There are 5 commercial places here and you'll get five differnt tastes. Like life diversity is what makes the Q go round! LOL

hee hee I'll get off my soapbox now...

I didn't go to any on the list...being from PA, there aren't really Q joints around here. Heard they opened a Famous Dave's in Philly, but haven't gotten the gumption to drive there to try it. We have a steak house here called Texas Roadhouse, they don't even have brisket! But their steaks are pretty good. There is a place in New Jersey, way off the beaten path, small little shack with two big smokers in the back, offers ribs, chicken, brisket, slaw, beans, I think that's it. There is a picnic table that you can sit at to eat, or take out. The food never makes the rest of the trip to the shore.
icon_rolleyes.gif

While on deployment to Memphis I ran into a place called the Commisary in German Town. Best Q I have had to date. Living in TX I went to the big name places and found them wanting. My favorite so far is Joels BBQ in Flatonia off of I10. Great food for the price.

Rich, TeaCup, Lou: I will add my agreement to Rich's comments about MI. I found this link for Detroit area places for what it is worth:

http://wdiv.cityvoter.com/Contests/S...stCategory=872

I have only been to Red, Hot and Blue and Famous Dave's. (both are ok for pulled pork) Thank to the knowledge gained from the SMF, I think I do just as well on my own now for pulled pork.

Have any of you all been to Slows in Detroit? I hear it is good. My office is near so I need to try it.

We do a good job with whole hog and in the western part of the state they use butts, but ribs in NC are not the specialty anywhere I'm afraid. Most people wouldn't know good ribs here.

Lou and all: I went to Slows (http://slowsbarbq.com/) in Detroit today. I definitely like it the best of the limited choice in MI. (see list in link quoted above) I could see it as a neat place to have a few beers too. About 2 blocks west of Tiger Stadium at MI Ave / Vernor.

I got the pulled pork sandwich. They serve it with slaw on it. I said to put that on the side. It was pretty good with a very light vinegar sauce on it. Nice bark, too.

I will definitely go back to try their other options.

Get there before noon for lunch as it fills up. It is not that cheap as the sandwich was 7.99 with sides for 1.50 ea. But you can't exactly go down the street and get something similar around here either.

Next time I'm downtown I'll give it a shot. I need to get to Eastern Market and pick up some Wiggly's corned beef anyway. How is their parking situation there? Anything else look good coming out of the kitchen?

Thanx for the review!

Lou

Yep..He's about 20 miles away from me..more famous for his sauces than his Q around these parts...and the Dreamland that's on the list has 3 locations....Tuscaloosa is the one to go to.
PDT_Armataz_01_13.gif
Surprised Mikeska's BBQ in Texas isn't on the list...hell even the state legislature proclaimed "Mikeska's" the first family of bbq in the state of TX. Eat there every time I travel to Austin..I think they are in Taylor...a bit North and maybe east of Austin. Of course while here at home I don't go "out" for bbq...that's a stay at home meal.:-)

Great to see Dreamland mentioned on the site! They have the best ribs and sauce that I've ever tasted and a must-have when we take our annual trip to cheer the Crimson Tide!

The chains are cool because some of them serve side items that aren't sold in the original location - Tuscaloosa. That is the best of them all, the original, and the most basic of menu's - bread, ribs, sauce. Have a great meal!
icon_lol.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky