Best plan of attack when doing brisket early?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

midwestpatsfan

Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
All the covid tests came back negative so we are traveling back home for Christmas and I was asked to smoke a brisket for Xmas dinner. Well, it’s about a 12 hour car ride back home. Clearly I have to smoke this thing ahead of time. I pulled a 15 lb choice out of the deep freeze a few days ago to let it thaw and tomorrow (Tuesday)is supposed to be in the 50s so that’s when I will do the smoke.
we will travel on Wednesday and have the meat Thursday night. what is the best way to cook this and then reheat do it tastes good.
This is for my newish in laws so I would like to impress them, so any advice would be great.
Thanks

Smoke it until probe tender in the flat, not the thickest part and not the fatty point, which will give a false probe of being tender. Double wrap and tightly seal in HD aluminum foil (you can wrap anywhere from the stall to a done packer). Refrigerate until thoroughly cold, still wrapped. On the day of travel, fill a cooler with ice and lay the cold, wrapped brisket on top of the ice. Travel 12 hours.

While still wrapped, and several hours (at least 4) before eating, load it in a 170-200F oven. Open, slice, enjoy.

If you cook it until it's completely done then wrapping while it's hot will cause carry over cooking and it will be over cooked and when you factor in re heating, it will be REALLY overcooked.
Pull it at around 190 internal then rapid cool it by letting it sit unwrapped on the counter until 140 then ice it down wrapped in cling wrap inside a garbage bag or three.
When it's time let it finish in the oven at 225 until it hits 203 and shakes like jello when hoisted.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky