First attempt at a brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
My niece wants smoked brisket for her birthday in early January. Having never smoked one before I decided to give it a couple of test attempts to see if I can get it right before the event.

Costco had prime packer briskets at $3.99/lb. We are only two here so I got a small one at 11.75 lbs.probably really messed up the fat removal, took of nearly 4lbs of fat.

PXL_20231106_194933978.jpg

It's in the garage refrigerator until very early Wednesday morning, when I'm told the rain will pause for a day. I have a recteq 1250 and will smoke it as long as I can at 180°. When it gets to 165° I will bring it in to wrap and finish in the oven.

Any feedback on how to butcher would be appreciated. I didn't take a pic of the fat side, I tried to leave it at 1/4 inch but some places I inadvertently took all the way to the meat.

decided to give it a couple of test attempts to see if I can get it right before the event.
👍👍👍
small one at 11.75 lbs.probably really messed up the fat removal, took of nearly 4lbs of fat.
I like that size the best . I think the trim is about right for me . This one was 13 lbs.
I trim 'em up pretty good .
20210306_095857.jpg
I have a recteq 1250 and will smoke it as long as I can at 180°. When it gets to 165° I will bring it in to wrap and finish in the oven.
I finish 90% of mine in the oven , and rest on the counter an hour or less before eating .
Your plan is really close to what I do . Looks like you're all over it .

Running at 180º and waiting to get it to 165º will be quite some time, the difference in temp is not much. Instead run the recteq on 180º for a couple of hours to gain the extra smoke then bump it to 275º. Personally, I'd wait until the IT in the thickest part of the flat is closer to 180º then wrap and use the oven if you wish.

Running at 180º and waiting to get it to 165º will be quite some time, the difference in temp is not much. Instead run the recteq on 180º for a couple of hours to gain the extra smoke then bump it to 275º. Personally, I'd wait until the IT in the thickest part of the flat is closer to 180º then wrap and use the oven if you wish.
Yep, that's what I meant :)

Reactions: JLeonard
My niece wants smoked brisket for her birthday in early January. Having never smoked one before I decided to give it a couple of test attempts to see if I can get it right before the event.

Costco had prime packer briskets at $3.99/lb. We are only two here so I got a small one at 11.75 lbs.probably really messed up the fat removal, took of nearly 4lbs of fat.

View attachment 680492

It's in the garage refrigerator until very early Wednesday morning, when I'm told the rain will pause for a day. I have a recteq 1250 and will smoke it as long as I can at 180°. When it gets to 165° I will bring it in to wrap and finish in the oven.

Any feedback on how to butcher would be appreciated. I didn't take a pic of the fat side, I tried to leave it at 1/4 inch but some places I inadvertently took all the way to the meat.
On YouTube search for Aaron Franklin brisket

View attachment 680492

I have done several brisket and looks like you got it under control . Especially getting it from Costco. They have the best prime beef brisket anywhere for a great price. I normally smoke mine at 200 for about 6-8 hours and then wrap and throw in the oven over night at 195 . By morning it is mely in your mouth tender .

Reactions: Nefarious
Got a late start this morning, took too much time cleaning the smoker. Haven't used it for a while because of the rain.

Smoking with lumberjack mesquite pellets at 180°.

PXL_20231108_205958148.jpg

After 2 hours. Will smoke until i I can't see any longer outside then will bring into the oven.

Got a late start this morning, took too much time cleaning the smoker. Haven't used it for a while because of the rain.

Smoking with lumberjack mesquite pellets at 180°.

View attachment 680635
After 2 hours. Will smoke until i I can't see any longer outside then will bring into the oven.
Looking good yeah just keep it going for 4 more hours . I know I new to the crew but been smoking meat for a long time . Just wrap that bad boy up and and more rub and some sort of liquid . I have used coke or root beer and apple juice too . Not all at the same time . I have you can add some beef broth to keep original beef flavor ,but I always like a little sweet in my BBQ . I would love to see your finished product . I plan on smoking a whole beef short rib pack from Costco this weekend and some steel head salmon . I will add some pics on Saturday 🤟

Cut shot.

PXL_20231109_084417073.jpg

Smoked for 7 hrs in lumberjack mesquite and oak
In oven at 100° for 4 hrs
Increased to 150 so I could go to bed, food 2 hrs. Pulled at 197, should have gone higher, just a little more tough than I expected. That can be solved the next time.

Now that I know the process I can get a thicker piece of meat, the slices will be very thin on the end.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky