Best pellet brand

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I love those pellets! All I use anymore. I have learned from Al to use long low smoke on my RecTec to get a great smoke profile.
I used the long low smoke on my pork butts(14 hrs) and that’s why I was disappointed. If you had told me they were done in a kitchen oven, I would have believed you. I’m going to try some of the other pellet brands suggested here. Thanks

I used to use "Smoke Ring" can't find them anymore. Now I use "Lumber Jack, Cherry or Pecan Blend". I often blend them together in my recteq, low & slow.

I've been using cookingpellets.com for a while now (5+ years) and had great flavors from the varieties that I've used. Their cherry, hickory and apple mash pellets are my go-to for most smokes. I just recently got their Longhorn blend (mesquite, maple and cherry) and it pairs really well with beef spare ribs. The apple mash pellets give just about the right amount of sweetness to bacon, without it being overpowering.

I have used a lot of the pellets mentioned here with a fair amount of success on my GMG. So I don't think you will go wrong with any of them, but my favorite are "Q" Pellets. They are available at a couple of shops here in SoCal, but they do have a online store where you can purchase their products. Regardless of which pellets you use, when I am cooking the larger cuts and want to put some smoke on them, I will always start the cook at a low temp. I usually will put the meat on and set the temp at 175 for 3 hours, then kick up temp to finish the cook out. It prolongs the cook a bit, but in my opinion the results out way the extra time spent cooking. Good luck.

Reactions: Jim Linville
If you got no flavor from Kingsford you probably wont like pellet smokers imo, a tube added can help but isn't a cure all

Reactions: bill1 and BC Buck
If you got no flavor from Kingsford you probably wont like pellet smokers imo, a tube added can help but isn't a cure all
I’ve been using a pellet smoker for 15 years. In fact my 1st pellet smoker was a Traeger that I had to have shipped from Mt Angel OR where they were made before they had set up a distribution system. I also used a tube. What was new was the Kingsford pellets - my 1st & last purchase.

For what it's worth I use Costco brand pellets at the moment.....since I burn a LOT of them the price point wins it over for me, however, they do have a nice smoke as well.

My advice is to get a few brands that are in your cost appetite and are easy to get and do your own taste testing.....

When I was using the tube that is how I did it. Really helped. I just roll with long low smoke setting now but the tube with chips worked great!
I do the long at low setting smokes too, mostly. I will chuck a tube in there when pressed for time, though.

Good advice. I started off with an offset smoker using oak & hickory logs, moved to Traeger for 10 years before they were distributed on the East Coast & still made in Oregon & now have the GMG. I’m going try some other brands since others are having good results.
I had a GMG for a few years, then upgraded to a Louisiana Grills Founder Series, it is so well designed and an overall much better product. Would recommend!

I use Lumberjack pellets and been pretty happy with them.

I had a GMG for a few years, then upgraded to a Louisiana Grills Founder Series, it is so well designed and an overall much better product. Would recommend!

I use Lumberjack pellets and been pretty happy with them.
You can buy Lumberjack pellets in New Zealand?

I have always ordered a ton to split with my son and friends and have them shipped to me.
Shipping hurts a bit, but still a decent price. About $18/40lb bag IIRC.

Ho many of each flavor do you have to order to get them to ship to you? So they mix or do you just get one flavor?

I have to go to two different places to get hickory and cherry in one, apple, oak, and pecan in the other. To get the mesquite blend I have to drive for an hour and a half to get them. I don't use them very often, so a couple of bags lasts a long time.

Both the Kirtland and Walmart (Expert Grill) pellets are at the 33-50 cents/pound level and I think are comparable to higher priced Lumberjack, Bear Mtn, etc that many are loyal to. Now that it's summer, the Walmarts are stocking Expert Grill in both Bold and Fruit at the 33 cent price point. I like doing beef and pork with the Bold and fowl at Fruit.
The Lowes by me can have some good prices on PitBoss too...hard to tell them from Kirtland imo.

Reactions: Jim Linville
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky