Best Chili Recipe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xsists

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
Waukesha, WI
I have a chili cookoff on Friday at work which I won last year with a southwestern flavored chili. Just trying to put together some ideas on what I should make this year. What are your best chili recipes?

I'm thinking about going with a smoked beef chili, smoked chicken white chili or a bacon cheeseburger chili.. Any thoughts?

Go with the smoked beef chili and use your Southwestern flavor only add a little more heat to off set the smoked meat . Not alot .

But you know your judges well so go with your gut . Just let us know .

I would also say to defiantly use smoked meat maybe a couple of kinds maybe some beef chunks and some good spicy home made sausage and you should be fine as frog hair.

do the southwest and put in 2 chunks of unsweetened chocolate with it...oh man it adds a whole new depth of flavor. the 2 chunks are for a big pot of chilli so maybe 1 if a small pot.

Google "Cincinnatti Chili" You'll find lots of that chili that uses chocolate and cinnamon. It's a whole different animal. They start with spaghetti noodles, topped with onions, beans, and cheese. The chili goes over whatevver toppings you want. It's a regional thing in Ohio, but great stuff! Here's one we like...hmmm wonder what smoke would do to it?

Cincinnati Chili

1 qt. water
1 t. cinnamon
2 large onions – chopped
3 toe of garlic
1 t. black pepper
1 T. salt
1 – 6 oz. can tomato paste
3 large bay leaves
2 # hamburger
1 t. cumin seed or ground cumin
1 t. worcestershire sauce
2 T. chili powder
½ t. red or chili pepper
1 ½ T. ground allspice
1 ½ T. cider vinegar

heres mine and yes it works.........I cut the bbq sauce down to half....I don't want the chili to taste just like a can of sauce.
  • 3 (45 ounce) cans tomato sauce
  • 2 (28 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
  • Half can beef broth (unless u like it thick)
  • 2 cups diced onion
  • 1 diced green pepper
  • 2 diced jalapeños (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon original creole seasoning
  • 1 pound bacon, diced
  • 2 pounds pulled pork
  • 2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 1 (16 ounce) bottle barbeque sauce (your favorite)
  • 1/2 cup chili powder
  • 1 TBS ancho chile peper
  • 4 (15.25 ounce) cans kidney beans, undrained
  • 2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, chopped (the key)
DIRECTIONS

1. In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, onion, green pepper, jalapenos and Creole seasoning.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until slightly crisp. Drain and stir into the pot. Leave some grease for flavor.
3. Drop in the pulled pork.
4. In the same skillet over medium heat, cook the beef until brown. Drain and stir into the pot.
5. Stir the rest of ingredients into the pot; taste and adjust seasonings. Stir in the kidney beans and chocolate and simmer until flavors are well blended. This is were you can decide on the beef broth. Serve.
6. THIS YEILDS ABOUT 20 SERVINGS.

If I won last year I'd find it real hard to try something new again this year. Unless you bring it up that it's the same, I doubt anyone will remember the exact taste of it, just that it was good.

Its just for work and its just for fun really. I talked big all year though so I'd like to repeat, but not use the same recipe. I'm leaning towards a smoked buffalo chicken chili with a blue cheese crumble on top. I work with a few people who's beliefs don't let them eat beef and some that don't let them eat pork. So in an effort to get the most votes possible (voting pool diminished in size since the economic downturn) I'm thinking a chicken dish would suit.

Last year I had enough votes for 1st and 2nd place lol.. 13 votes for me, 2nd place had 5 votes so I could have taken first with 7 votes and second with 6 votes. But again, I'd like to repeat with a different recipe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky