Best butt so far on Masterbuilt XL

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimmyjames

Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Raleighwood, NC
Have not had good luck with butts on my Masterbuilt XL.  Was taking too long to cook and not getting enough smoke flavor.  Decided one thing that was missing was the grease hitting the coals and sizzling off like when cooking with wood or charcoal.  I removed the water pan I was using and put a lasagna pan right over the burner and put my wood chunks in that and let the butt drip on the pan and the wood chunks.  I also ran the smoker at 250 the whole time as best I could monitoring the temp with a external digital thermo with probe and dual temp display.  Cooked 8# butt for 8 hours.  Took it off and double wrapped with alum foil for 2 hrs.  Pull apart tender and much better smoke but still not the smoke ring or color I want but I am getting closer.  Best tasting butt I ever cooked on this thing.  Still not as good as on my old Brinky that I sold to my boss but darn close.  The other cool thing was it smelled like the BBQ joints in Lexington, NC the whole time I was cooking it.  You need that grease hitting the pan and coals and cooking off.  Add flavor and aroma to the meat for sure.

Cool.... JJ   Welcome to smoking meat forums and were galad to have you aboard..... Where abouts are you in raleigh...  I'm on the lake wheeler side of town.....Why dont you stop by roll call and introduce yourself so we can give you a proper welcome.....
icon14.gif

Good luck and happy smoking

Joe

Hey Jimmyjames.  Welcome to the forum and I'm glad your butt turned out well.

I just acquired a Master Built myself and I will pass along to you what I have been told by others.

Get yourself and A-Maze-N smoker.  It's a device that creates smoke without heat but will work in your hot smoker.

Here's the link.  http://www.amazenproducts.com/   The owner of the company is a member of the forum and the customer service is great I'm told.

Good luck and good smoking,

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky