Before I smoke Godzilla for the first time...a few questions :)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GrumpyGriller

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 29, 2021
OK, so I went to Restaurant Depot yesterday as they had Beef Plate Ribs (Dino) on sale. It has 4 plates in the package and totals about 28.5 lbs. 😎.

My plan is to smoke @ 225 'til probe tender, expecting IT of about 205, maybe in 5-6 hours, though I certainly won't go by time? The plan is to keep it simple with SPG or something similar, though I am open to suggestions.

My questions are the following:
Since there's no meat under the bone, I wasn't planning on removing the silver-skin, figuring it would be a nice protector with the ribs being on for a while. Do you remove or keep?
Should I keep the 3-bone plate in tact (as you do with baby back/spares) and then cut afterwards, or does the pull-back make it easier if they are separated before the cook?

Of course, any other suggestions are welcomed!

Me, I'd keep them intact, and keep the silver skin on. I think by keeping the silver skin on it helps retain some of the juices. I'd also bump the temp up to about 250* or you may be in for a loooooooong cook.

Keep us posted on the how you do's and how they turn outs.

Chris

Thanks guys - Only reason I was thinking 225 is that I could keep on the super smoke, but I usually throw on a tube and/or AMAZN tray anyway, so maybe I will bump it up. I may try them this weekend, but we'll see.

I am not expecting to wrap them at any point, so do you suggest an hourly spritz?

Reactions: tallbm
Thanks guys - Only reason I was thinking 225 is that I could keep on the super smoke, but I usually throw on a tube and/or AMAZN tray anyway, so maybe I will bump it up. I may try them this weekend, but we'll see.

I am not expecting to wrap them at any point, so do you suggest an hourly spritz?
I like a nice Guinness spritz but I may be the only one. Plenty of anti spritzers around here

Ah sounds like a pellet pooper. Then I think your correct. Keep it at 225* or whatever your super smoke temp is for a few hours then jump the temps up. I don't spritz, but many others due with fantastic results.

Chris

Reactions: GrumpyGriller
Don't spritz unless you want to prolong your cook time. Don't cook to temp. Cook til they probe tender. If you want to do anything else I'd pan with a little broth and cover with foil when the color looks right, but that's not necessary.

Reactions: GrumpyGriller
Ah sounds like a pellet pooper. Then I think your correct. Keep it at 225* or whatever your super smoke temp is for a few hours then jump the temps up. I don't spritz, but many others due with fantastic results.

Chris
Yes - Traeger Timberline 1300, I'll be in no rush, so we'll see how it works out!

Reactions: bauchjw and gmc2003
I just watched some tutorials today on how to smoke Beef ribs and I am planning on trying those next. Let me know how they turn out and anything you learned a long the way so maybe my first experience will go great! Good luck!

I just watched some tutorials today on how to smoke Beef ribs and I am planning on trying those next. Let me know how they turn out and anything you learned a long the way so maybe my first experience will go great! Good luck!
Will do - I'll update this thread once I make them.

Reactions: Thicc Stallion
My plan is to smoke @ 225 'til probe tender, expecting IT of about 205, maybe in 5-6 hours,
You're looking at a whole lot longer than 5 or 6 hours at 225. I'd go 250 to 275. Even at that it may well take 8 hours.
Since there's no meat under the bone, I wasn't planning on removing the silver-skin
I never remove the silver skin, beef or pork. Tracy likes FOTB ribs and if the skin is removed they tend to fall apart when trying to move them around. You don't eat it so no reason to remove it IMHO.
Should I keep the 3-bone plate in tact
Absolutely keep the rib sections in tact.

I do not spritz, wrap, or sauce my ribs. Season them and let them go. I have basted beef ribs but really don't see that it does anything for the finished product. Other people have methods different than mine and they they turn out great food with so it's all up to you. I will say that however TNJAKE TNJAKE cooked those ribs last year at his event turned out an amazing product. Those were some of the absolute best ribs I've EVER eaten.

024.jpg

Robert

You're looking at a whole lot longer than 5 or 6 hours at 225. I'd go 250 to 275. Even at that it may well take 8 hours.

I never remove the silver skin, beef or pork. Tracy likes FOTB ribs and if the skin is removed they tend to fall apart when trying to move them around. You don't eat it so no reason to remove it IMHO.

I do not spritz, wrap, or sauce my ribs. Season them and let them go. I have basted beef ribs but really don't see that it does anything for the finished product. Other people have methods different than mine and they they turn out great food with so it's all up to you. I will say that however TNJAKE TNJAKE cooked those ribs last year at his event turned out an amazing product. Those were some of the absolute best ribs I've EVER eaten.

View attachment 628561

Robert
Wow - those like amazing! Thanks for the suggestions!

Reactions: TNJAKE

View attachment 628561

Robert
Spritzed them with beer! Thanks for the compliment Robert

Reactions: bigfurmn
Thanks for the compliment Robert

Very much deserved. I still think that's one of the most awesome pics I've ever seen. That shot is breathtaking...and one massive rack of ribs. I have another rack that will be on it's way to TN at some point later this year :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: TNJAKE
Pre-cook update and defrosting question...

In total, this is 28 lbs. of Dino ribs in 4 pieces - I am guessing that I can throw in the fridge on Thursday and be able to season them Friday night for Saturday AM's planned cook, or should I pull them on Wednesday just in case? My fridge is generally kept about 38F.

1649775509948.png

Not wanting to hijack, but those who cook these on a kettle, snake method or baskets put on each side?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky