Before and After the SMF

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meandmytwodogs

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Beaver Lake/Plattsmouth, Nebraska
I've been reading posts about all of the recent drama going on with the SMF and a few of it's members and wanted to take a moment to share my appreciation for this site and everyone involved.
I've been cooking on a smoker for about 10 years up to now and in just the last few months since I was refered to this site my cooking has changed and improved 400%. The problem was that I never had anyone else around who was into smoking. All I had was a not so good book (Cooking With Smoke and Spice) I was in my early 20's then and started on my own.
Examples:
-I used to use an entry level smoking unit with no mods.
Now I have a proffesionaly modified Ok. Joe (love it!)
-I used to only use a vinegar base mop that didn't taste good to me.
Now I understand more about juice and hooch. Or no mop/spritz at all.
-I used to think that Cowboy brand Charcoal was awesome.
Now I know the difference and use only Royal Oak lump.
-I used to use the thermometer on the lid of my smoker and thought it was sweet. Never really used a therm for the meat.
Now my wife laughs at me and my collection of digi therms.
-I used to know very little about the diff cooking temps and times for different meats.
Now I'm all over it and if not, I know where to go for the answer.

I could go on, but the point I want to make is that this site is the best thing that ever happed to my cooking and my passion for it, and all of my friends and family have confirmed that. Thanks to everyone here for your support and patience with the new members. You do make a difference.

Dave

Nice thread. I think you are not alone in your description of improvement.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

This site would be worth joining if for no other reason than Jeff's rub and Dutch's baked beans
icon_exclaim.gif
biggrin.gif

You pretty much nailed it! I'll only add one thing.

I used to be nervous about my outcomes and very shy about letting other people taste my "q." Now I actually get a little bit giddy when I'm getting ready to smoke.

THANK YOU SMF!!

I'm with ya....without this site and taking a bbq class last year I would still be stuck grilling over Kingsford!! Now people come to me and ask my "expert opinion" of how to do this or that. Makes ya kind of feel good don't it?? Thanks to all who are willing to share their knowledge and experience!!

I gotta jump in here and say DITTO for me. I have learned so much in a short amount of time by poking around in here - often!

Man, that fits me too. I thought grillin was THE thing to do. After reading as much as I could here, and a couple smokers later, things really have changed for the better, thanks to every one here!!!!!!!!

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Welcome; I am almost as new also. I keep learning things too; Fatties are ruling. I have a new collection of thermometers also. My passion is not cooking; but eating. SO you can guess my determination and goals. Semper Fi.
PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif

In the short time here, I have learned so much from reading here. I have been cooking for more years than I wan't to admit, smoked before, built smokers from old fridges, and had a Brinkman ECB. You want to know what? I didn't know didly about smoking before, just the basics. I have done at least 10 successful smokes since I got my MES last month, and it is all because of the tricks and secrets of the members here. That is kind of humbling for me, but I am always open to learn. Sure, I have my own methods, techniquiqes and recipes, but this is the best place for anyone to become an expert. I hope every one else can learn also. If you can't, you probably are not teachable IMHO.

Good learnin' to you!

This is an incredible forum and resource. Before SMF my first attempt at ribs several years ago were country style on a gas grill with a smoke box with a vineger based mop that had too much pepper for the other members of my family. I was trying to tell if they were done by loo (thermometer . . . what a great idea!). About the outside third was done and they were (likely dangerously) undercooked in the middle. My guest were polite though.

Since I got my smoker a couple of months ago and joined the forum, things have definitely improved. Had a couple of rough starts but with help from the members here, I got some of the kinks ironed out. The babybacks I smoked on Memorial Day resulted in a very enthusicastic "Oh my Gawd" from my sister-in-law -- probably a more enthusiastic exclamation than she gives her husband.
icon_smile.gif

I was also able to explain to my brother-in-law why the pork roast (I assume it was a shoulder) that he cooked on his drum cooker didn't turn out as well as he would have liked. I didn't know squat about cooking pork before I came here. I gave him some suggestions on how to turn that bad boy into a smoker but haven't converted him yet.
wink.gif

As has been said so many times before -- SMF ROCKS!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Dave

When I bought my first smoker a couple of years ago, I was very leary of wasting meet in the process of learning. So I went to the web and searched. I found a lot of resources but SMF quickly became my "go to" resource. I read a ton of threads and bought Jeff's recipes. I can honestly say that because of this forum I've never ruined a piece of pork and most have just been excellent! Wish I could say the same for chicken but that's another story.

When I bought a new propane smoker a few days ago, I was right back here again. Since I learned on an electric, once again I wasn't willing to just experiment until I was comfortable with the new equipment. Had to come here and see what you guys had to say about propane rigs like mine.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned this is the only place to go on the web when it comes to smoking meat! And because of this forum, everyone I know thinks I'm a genius when it comes to smoking meat! Little do they know it's only because of you guys and the advise and knowledge I've picked up here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky