Beef Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Really like what you did here. Have a few questions, if I may. I have 28+mm sheep casings. Will they be a good size for this? I don't have any fermento, but, I have ECA and can always get buttermilk. What would be a good substitute and recommended amounts? Thanks so much for sharing this!

Forgot to add that I'll be using venison and beef fat. 80/20 the best ratio?

Last edited:
Really like what you did here. Have a few questions, if I may. I have 28+mm sheep casings. Will they be a good size for this? I don't have any fermento, but, I have ECA and can always get buttermilk. What would be a good substitute and recommended amounts? Thanks so much for sharing this!

Forgot to add that I'll be using venison and beef fat. 80/20 the best ratio?

Bob I haven't used the ECA but I think that would work without the Butter Milk
80/20 sounds good,use the ECA according to the directions for what ever amount of meat
The 28 mm casing will make them a little fatter

Let us know how the ECA works when you do it
Richie

Bob I haven't used the ECA but I think that would work without the Butter Milk
80/20 sounds good,use the ECA according to the directions for what ever amount of meat
The 28 mm casing will make them a little fatter

Let us know how the ECA works when you do it
Richie

Thanks, Ritchie. What size sheep casings did you use? I wasn't planning on using both ECA and buttermilk. Just wondered which one might be a better choice.

Thanks, Ritchie. What size sheep casings did you use? I wasn't planning on using both ECA and buttermilk. Just wondered which one might be a better choice.

Bob I should have realized that,just drove home from NC stilled tired.
The Butter milk I tried it is okay but the fermento really made the sticks taste like slim jim
I haven't tried the ECA maybe someone on here will,give a little better info
Richie

Erik Make them as soon as you have the mix ready,leaving it sit overnight will make stuffing harder
Richie

I did make the gun and try a batch over the weekend. I stuffed the night before and smoked the next day. They turned out great, but I'm in the market for a crank stuffer before my next large batch.

I use ECA in stick all the time. I WOULD NOT use both buttermilk and ECA together. Just remember that ECA needs to be added right before stuffing and then you want to smoke the sticks immediately. Also don't over mix the ECA or mix too roughly as you don't want to break open the little fat capsules that "encapsulate" the citric acid. The plan is to mix them in and they will melt open at around 140-145* which is after the meat is set firm. That gives the twang without making the meat mealy or grey. When I use ECA, I add my cure and spice mix the night before and let the meat flavors blend in the fridge overnight. Then right before smoking I add a little more water or beer to loosen up the meat (it will firm up some overnight), add the ECA, and then stuff and smoke. ECA gives great results.

One other thing I have noticed is some brands of ECA recommend going with 1.5 ounces for 25 pounds and others 3 ounces for 25 pounds. I'm currently using Butcher & Packer's ECA which is recommended at 1.5 ounces. I've been mixing it at 3 ounces and the flavor is spot on (I had been using the 3 ounce ratio and I could not detect any visual difference in the B&P vs the other ECA I had so I presumed they would both work at that ratio and the did). If you like the twang of slim jims and other sticks, go with the 3oz per 25lb ratio (3.4 grams per pound).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky