Beef short ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thomas The Tank

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
Valparaiso, IN
Had one more of the 123a plate ribs in my freezer that I decided to do. Put in the rec tec 340 around 8am, finished around 4:45pm @ IT210. I think I took them a littler longer than I needed to, probably should have pulled at 207, or let them set out a little longer before putting them in the cooler. I also pulled the membrane off since the first time I did these it seemed to be too much to deal with when eating them. The second time I peeled and they turned out great. This time I’m thinking if I left on it would have cut a little better???

They were more like pulled beef short rib. Still tasty none the less.

Trimmed, seasoned, and ready to go!
82587074-568E-4A0E-95B3-7086A7DA6E59.jpeg

5 1/2 hours in at about 184 IT
C2796B10-9A62-475A-8B0C-920175E456FE.jpeg

Great bark at 190, I decided to wrap in paper to keep the bark from getting crispier/dry.
C839B8BB-4D06-4A27-8A5F-31BDFC13F8C5.jpeg

Finished resting and ready to cut.
777EDEC5-EC26-45BA-9AD1-432CED5537C0.jpeg

cut with the knife I though about sharpening before hand, lesson learned - trust your gut.
11B711E0-1134-4E98-81DD-BE318E36517F.jpeg

Plate shot with 5 cheese Mac n cheese, and some beans in the side for myself (wife won’t eat them)
6A033C5B-66C1-4C94-9CE4-177D6CD2EC3A.jpeg

Thanks for lookin!

Last edited:
Might have wanted to begin probing with a toothpick when those ribs got to be around 195º. I don't want to be a nattering nabob of negativity, or insulting in any way, that meat looks a little overcooked and dry. If I'm wrong you have my sincere apology, the mac & cheese look great. Makes no sense to me to give feedback if it ain't honest. RAY

Reactions: jcam222
Might have wanted to begin probing with a toothpick when those ribs got to be around 195º. I don't want to be a nattering nabob of negativity, or insulting in any way, that meat looks a little overcooked and dry. If I'm wrong you have my sincere apology, the mac & cheese look great. Makes no sense to me to give feedback if it ain't honest. RAY
Overcooked yes, Guess you could say they were “ fall off the bone” They were far from dry, actually still pretty juicy and the dull knife somewhat ruined the profile cut. As I mentioned above I should have pulled them earlier at 207 but thought I still felt a little resistance in one direction. Definitely still got some work to do with these if I ever end up getting another case. I’m no expert with the plate ribs.

I love beef shorts Thomas, not much better than brisket on a stick. Seems the sacred number for all things cooked to tenderness is 203º, beef or pork. I just feel it behooves me to begin probing at around 195º, a toothpick will tell you a lot better info than a thermometer. Just yesterday I did a batch of St Louis ribs that grew my suspicion after 6&1/2 hours with IT reading of 182º, so I poked around and they were pulled off in time to be just about perfect. All that digital and mechanical stull is great, but it can let you down from time to time. you can always count of your sense of feel. RAY

Reactions: Thomas The Tank
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky