Dino Bone redemption....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
A year ago I attempted to smoke my first set of Dino Bones, i.e. plate ribs. They didn't turn out well. Many at that time encouraged me to try again so Saturday was the day. Back on Tuesday I pulled a Piedmontese 2 pack and put them the garage fridge to thaw. Armed with the helpful comments from a number of you I was confident that last time they weren't on long enough. The smoke was started too late which in turn forced me to pull them for a timed dinner. Yeah, all these years smoking and I then make a rookie mistake. Welcome to ol' farts with a case of CRS.

These things were beautiful, thick with great marbling. Friday night I decided to go pure Texas on them using 50/50 S&P then added a tad more pepper for insurance. Put them back into the fridge for overnight.

IMG_5842.JPG

Saturday morning 8am, fire up the smoker and the bones are on at 180º for and hour. Get the coffee made and turn up the MAK to 270º by 9am.
IMG_5844.jpg

A little over 5 hours in and the color is looking good, fair amount of pull back on the bones but way from being tender. It was also time to turn attention to the appetizer for cocktail hour. Put together some pig shots and threw them on the top shelf for a 2 hour smoke. Also put together the wife's favorite Sangria.

IMG_5854.jpg

Bumped the temp down to 240º after 7 hours with them probing good in some places but others still needed more time. Then went about getting some potato wedges ready for the grill including a kicked up mayo dressing to be served table side. At the 8 hour mark the dino bones probe tender all over. Pull into an alum pan, covered with foil and placed in a 170º oven until dinner time. At 6pm, finished the potatoes and it was on to discover how I did with the main course. Here is the first cut and one of the dinner platings. Add a salad with home made french dressing & danish blue cheese along with the sangria and the meal was complete. Everybody loved it.
IMG_5857.jpg

IMG_5861.jpg

Can't thank the folks here enough for helping me get this smoke right!

Edit: some how the photos were small, republished.

Last edited:
Looks great. Congratulations on the cook.
Thanks Steve!
They look great!
I was really pleased with the result this time. Thanks Brian.
Those are some fine looking Dino’s, Matt!
Everything looks delicious!
Al
Hey Al, turns out 2nd time was the charm. The meal was really good! Thanks for checking in.
Nice job, it looks like a satisfying plate of food
Nobody went away hungry! Thanks.
Looks perfect!
Appreciate you checkin in, thanks!
Looks great Matt ! Nice work .
Yup Rich, it was paying attention to the basics: leave enough time to cover whatever and only pull when tender all over. Appreciate your comment!
Man those look so good! Dinos are probably my favorite beef in the smoker.
There are here, now that I can do them correctly. Thanks!
Yabba Dabba delicious Matt.

Point for sure
Chris
Hey Chris, yup these were very tasty. Already making plans to do them again. Thanks for stoping by.

A year ago I attempted to smoke my first set of Dino Bones, i.e. plate ribs. They didn't turn out well. Many at that time encouraged me to try again so Saturday was the day. Back on Tuesday I pulled a Piedmontese 2 pack and put them the garage fridge to thaw. Armed with the helpful comments from a number of you I was confident that last time they weren't on long enough. The smoke was started too late which in turn forced me to pull them for a timed dinner. Yeah, all these years smoking and I then make a rookie mistake. Welcome to ol' farts with a case of CRS.

These things were beautiful, thick with great marbling. Friday night I decided to go pure Texas on them using 50/50 S&P then added a tad more pepper for insurance. Put them back into the fridge for overnight.

View attachment 676906

Saturday morning 8am, fire up the smoker and the bones are on at 180º for and hour. Get the coffee made and turn up the MAK to 270º by 9am.
View attachment 676918

A little over 5 hours in and the color is looking good, fair amount of pull back on the bones but way from being tender. It was also time to turn attention to the appetizer for cocktail hour. Put together some pig shots and threw them on the top shelf for a 2 hour smoke. Also put together the wife's favorite Sangria.

View attachment 676910

Bumped the temp down to 240º after 7 hours with them probing good in some places but others still needed more time. Then went about getting some potato wedges ready for the grill including a kicked up mayo dressing to be served table side. At the 8 hour mark the dino bones probe tender all over. Pull into an alum pan, covered with foil and placed in a 170º oven until dinner time. At 6pm, finished the potatoes and it was on to discover how I did with the main course. Here is the first cut and one of the dinner platings. Add a salad with home made french dressing & danish blue cheese along with the sangria and the meal was complete. Everybody loved it.
View attachment 676922

View attachment 676923

Can't thank the folks here enough for helping me get this smoke right!

Edit: some how the photos were small, republished.
That looks fantastic, great work!

Reactions: schlotz
WOO HOO!! Nailed those babies Matt. If cooked correctly, as you did, a good Dino rib is really hard to beat. Sure am glad you didn't give up after the first time because this meal made it all worthwhile buddy.

Robert

Reactions: schlotz
Yabba Dabba Dooooooooooo!

Those Dino ribs look fantabulous!!!!

Brought a smile seeing Fred. Thanks Keith!
Lord have mercy. That looks spectacular!
Tasted even better. Thanks for stopping by!
Looks like you redeemed yourself in a big way! I’d eat All that and gnaw the bones.
Can't tell you how much it meant to me to get these right. I really hate it when I mess up for lack of attention. Sorry but all these dino bones got cleaned at at the table. :emoji_wink:
Dem bones look freaking great, nice cook!
Appreciate that John!
Whoa those look very Tasty!! Nice job!!
Thanks for the comment!
WOO HOO!! Nailed those babies Matt. If cooked correctly, as you did, a good Dino rib is really hard to beat. Sure am glad you didn't give up after the first time because this meal made it all worthwhile buddy.

Robert
There's a song from the past that goes something like: 'if ya get it wrong, you'll get it right next time". It really grinds me when I mess up a smoke for nothing but a rookie mistake. I was determined these babies were going to come out right. Best part was sitting down and watching the wife & her best friend we had over, enjoy their meal. Doesn't get better than that. Really appreciate the kind words Robert, thanks my friend!

really great looking ribs. I a, ready to do another rack of these for sure I just have to drive 40 minutes to get them.
Glad you liked the write-up Dan. Go make that trip, they are worth it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky