Beef and Cast Iron

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Lakeside Smoker

Original poster
Jun 18, 2018
Massachusetts
C8BE1555-C102-4E13-BC6B-70794B5D7A84.jpeg

Rolled rib eye cap, bone marrow butter, rosemary, garlic. Seared on cast iron cooked over coals.

Anyone else prefer cooking steak in a cast iron pan instead of on the grill? I like doing this way: in the cast iron, but I still get to use the coals.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
That looks incredibly scrumptious!
This should be on the Carousel, that pic is simply salivation inducing.
Like!

Yes, please tell us more about the marrow butter.

I reverse sear most of my steaks, smoke them and then sear in cast iron.
But sometimes when time is short, they go straight on the grill.

Reactions: Lakeside Smoker
I found this recipe.
Ingredients
  • 6–8 marrow bones, cut short, no longer than 2 inches tall
  • ½ cup raw butter, cut into 1-inch cubes and softened
  • ¼ teaspoon sea salt
  • ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
  • ¼ teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped fine
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Spread bones out on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, marrow side up.
  2. Roast bones for 15–20 minutes, until marrow is bubbly and knife-tender all the way through. Let marrow bones cool to touch, then scoop out marrow.
  3. Add marrow, raw butter, sea salt, rosemary and parsley to a food processor.
  4. Blend until incorporated.
  5. Serve on bread, crackers, meats or even by itself.

This looks incredible! I just wish you had some more pics! I want to grab that right out of the skillet! The burns to my hands and mouth would be worth it!!! I think....

Fine job
Scott

I'm a huge cast iron fan, new and old. My favorite and one I will pass down to one of my sons has been in our family as long as anyone can remember, It has no markings at all. My newest addition is a Stargazer pan I got for Fathers Day this year. I baked an apple pie in it last weekend. As for steaks cooked inside, we sear for two and minutes in a hot pan per side then in the oven at 400 for 5 minutes, usually get a good medium out of that depending on the thickness.

The bone marrow butter is crazy good! I can’t cook a steak without it now. I think that’s why I like cooking steaks/roasts in a cast iron pan. You get to baste the meat with butter, rosemary, garlic, and its own juices, and fat. The recipe that chilerelleno chilerelleno posted is pretty much what I do. I like about 70% butter and 30% bone marrow, salt and fresh chopped rosemary. I make a big batch and keep it in the freezer. It’s great stuff!

Cheers,
Mike

Your steak looks fantastic!
I'm with you, I cook all our steaks in CI pans, with bacon grease.
Love the flavor you get, and there is a bunch of juice to baste with & then pour over the steak when it's done!
And Chile is right, that photo does belong on the carousel.
Congrats!
Al

This is how my cooktop looks at all times. The Stargazer pan is in the middle, the other two, I’ll put like this. I’m well into my 50’s and I can remember the other two sitting on my grandmothers stove when I was a child. The only markings on the little chrome one is “E85”.
View media item 553949

Not much to say that hasn't already been said, absolutely beautiful.

I do all my steaks these days reverse sear. Instead of Cast Iron, I use Carbon Steel, pretty much the same thing, but a bit less weight.

I have been wanting to try one of the right on the coals cooks, but haven't had the opportunity yet.

View attachment 370286
Rolled rib eye cap, bone marrow butter, rosemary, garlic. Seared on cast iron cooked over coals.

Anyone else prefer cooking steak in a cast iron pan instead of on the grill? I like doing this way: in the cast iron, but I still get to use the coals.

Cheers,
Mike

Lakeside Smoker,

That's one fine presentation, and a beautiful looking piece of meat. Well deserving of a like. Did you stuff the rolled cap, or leave it plain?

I like to finish on the grill such as you did but I ditched the CI a few years ago and went all carbon steel such as petehalstead mentioned.

Also, I was glad to hear the bone marrow butter mentioned. I have a couple versions that I made in the past but had long forgotten. One is similar to what chilerelleno posted but calls for ghee (clarified butter) and includes confit garlic and minced fresh thyme. The other is more of a serving sauce with a base of reduced beef stock, butter, marrow, minced shallots, white wine, Dijon, etc. Time to print those recipes and get some marrow bones. Thanks for jogging my memory.

What is a "rib eye cap".... Is that where you trim off the outside of the rib eye and roll it??? or do you buy it from the meat guy ???

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky