Be Safe Southerners!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We aren't well educated on Tornado survival up here in PA.
I've never had one hit within 10 miles of me, wherever I was.
However we have had a few warnings over the years, and we did spend a couple of short periods of time under & around the Stairs in My Basement.

Bear
Yep spent a good hour in the basement around 3am today

Man . That's a shame . I heard they got hit hard but didn't know how bad it was . Had to be terrifying for those people .

Reactions: TNJAKE
Be safe. Looks like it's made it to east Tennessee.
Yep, it blew in and out in about 15 minutes and was one of the fastest blowing storms I have been in for some time. Temp dropped 12 degrees in the process.

Yep, it blew in and out in about 15 minutes and was one of the fastest blowing storms I have been in for some time. Temp dropped 12 degrees in the process.
Glad all is well. We've dropped 19° since the storm came through

We were lucky here, just thunder and a little rain. Windy as heck today with temps dropping.
I have 2 stepdaughters on the KY/TN line and there was some damage but not severe and they're fine.
So sad to hear about the people who died. I know hurricanes can be devastating but you have little warning with tornadoes.
They tell you when conditions are right for tornadoes but what are you going to do?
We just go to bed and hope for the best. No basement here.

We were lucky here, just thunder and a little rain. Windy as heck today with temps dropping.
I have 2 stepdaughters on the KY/TN line and there was some damage but not severe and they're fine.
So sad to hear about the people who died. I know hurricanes can be devastating but you have little warning with tornadoes.
They tell you when conditions are right for tornadoes but what are you going to do?
We just go to bed and hope for the best. No basement here.
Glad everyone is ok. I'm also on the TN/KY line

So sad so many were killed, that's a terrible thing. Hard to imagine the destruction. I'm dang glad we have a basement!

Ryan

Wind in Ohio today is roaring. Keeping an eye on the weather alerts. Man I read that one of the tornadoes in KY touched down and stayed on ground for 200 miles!!

Reactions: Steve H and TNJAKE
Wind in Ohio today is roaring. Keeping an eye on the weather alerts. Man I read that one of the tornadoes in KY touched down and stayed on ground for 200 miles!!
Yep that one flattened the town of Mayfield and tore up bowling green pretty good. Saying it was F5+ and possibly 250mph wind. Weather channel said maybe the biggest tornado in us history

Yep that one flattened the town of Mayfield and tore up bowling green pretty good. Saying it was F5+ and possibly 250mph wind. Weather channel said maybe the biggest tornado in us history
Man that’s insane! I’ve been to Bowling Green many times. Used to stop there as a stopping point for business trips to Nashville and Murfreesboro. Always stay at the Holiday inn there and they often had Corvette shows due to the factory and museum there.

Man that’s insane! I’ve been to Bowling Green many times. Used to stop there as a stopping point for business trips to Nashville and Murfreesboro. Always stay at the Holiday inn there and they often had Corvette shows due to the factory and museum there.
Corvette factory took damage and caught on fire this morning

That is just too surreal!
I used to live and travel in that area 40 years ago.
The only significant weather I remember was heavy rains and wind when a hurricane blew up from the gulf.

They tell you when conditions are right for tornadoes but what are you going to do? They just suddenly happen. Or not.
We don't have a basement so we just go to bed and hope for the best.
stayed on ground for 200 miles!!
Yep. Mostly they don't touch ground at all. Sometimes they touch for a minute and go back up. Sometimes they just come down and walk along for miles like the one in southern IN a few years ago that also leveled a town. You can still see the path from I-65. You just never know.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky