BBQrency or Barter-cue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sea_munky

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
Monterey, CA
Hi all!

I love that there's all sorta folk on this forum, form professional bbq restauranteers/ catererers, home chefs, competetive chefs, and hobby smokers. I, myself, probably fall in the latter...love smoked food, smoke with love, and would do it more if often if I could. So I started wondering (as many of us have I'm sure): how I might earn something extra by doing something I love?

So here's my question/survey: How much do you consider your cue worth?

I.e. How much would you charge per pound of pulled pork? Per rack or pound of spare ribs? brisket?

I know it's all gonna depend on how much it costs you locally for your meat and wood, so perhaps you could justify your price. Those of us who can manage "wholesale" could probably outcompete backyard smokers like me who can only fit three butts at most in my lil' offset.

These thoughts came about as I was hanging in my garage wishing I had some outlets in there. Now I don't know enough about electricity to install them nor do I want outlets enough to hire an electrician. However, I'm sure there are electricians out there who would trade some work for some good ol' homemade Q. What's a fair deal?

Hi again.

So I'm gonna answer my own post.

Butts, 1.99/lb. Royal Oak, 5.99 10lb bag. I would go through at least half a bag. Hmmmm....an 8lb butt yields about 4-5 lbs? Then considering incidental costs like smoking wood, spices, mops/sprays, foil, ziploc bags to pack them, etc.

Just to throw a number out there, $7/lb?

Honestly, I don't have enough experience so I'm interested in what your price might be and the cost breakdown.

Happy smokes!

If you have a buddy who is handy with wiring and the garage has open studwork, that job is probably less than an hours work after you have gathered all the materials you need. It will take a bit longer if you have to fish wires and cut out holes for the electrical boxes. I took a 4 weekend wiring course sponsored by the Provincial government and am amazed at how simple home wiring is. I did work one summer for an electrical company installing house wiring so I have a basic knowlege. I always follow the code but have found that getting permits for the work is the hardest part so I skip that part. It is a little more work but I have found that putting in an extra outlet or two while the studwork is still open will save you cash in the long run. So make sure to put in lots while you are doing the work.

I know at least 2 electricians among my friends who would do the job for me free if there were some beer and vittles waiting for them at the end of the job.

If I were you I'd scout around amongst your friends to see if you can come up with someone who will trade a bit of work for a bit of grub.

Pulled Pork-Smoked* $6.50 per pound cooked weight
B-B-Q’d Spare Ribs-Smoked $6.00 per pound pre-cooked weight before trim Full Racks only please.
Beef Brisket-Pulled-Smoked* $6.50 per pound cooked weight
Beef Chuck Roast-sliced
Smoked $7.25 per pound pre-cooked weight
Chicken-Whole-Smoked $2.75 per pound pre-cooked weight
Whole Turkey-Smoked $3.50 per pound pre-cooked weight Maximum weight of 12 pounds.
Whole Turkey-Fried $3.75 per pound pre-cooked weight Maximum weight of 12 pounds.
Please note: Prices effective 12/01/2008 and are subject to
Change. We need at least 7 days advance notice on poultry
Products due to the nature of processing these items. We
Operate our smokehouse on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
*Minimum order of 3 pounds please.
Other Item Prices available upon request.
There's most of our cash an carry price list. Those prices are more then fair when compared ta others I have seen. Some folk will squak it's too high, I tell them my time has to be worth something an that these are crafted products, not mass produced, real smoke not outa a bottle. Good luck.

As for addin in a couple a outlets, ifin the wall er open, gota yer local diy store an they have books on basic wiring. It really isn't all that difficult. Ya can more in likely do it yerself. But it never hurts ta build a relationship with a few craftsman either.

That's a very interesting question that you have thrown out there, Sea Munky. I'm only going to speak for myself here. The barter system is a fantastic way of getting the things done that you can't do yourself, providing you have the right "connections".

There are some very talented & skilled folks here at smf who I'm sure are pondering the possibilities. Aside from the cost of meat & smoking supplies, the key ingredient remaining is time. For the "younger" folks, time isn't so terribly critical, IMO, but for the folks who are a bit more chronilogically challenged (myself included) it becomes a major factor.

When I got in to smoking meat last year, I considered it a hobby, and still do. It's fun, it's relaxing and best of all, you get to consume the fruits of your "labor". I have been fortunate to be able to share those results with friends & family with surprising results.

I've never considered putting a value on my "hobby" as I'm an old school kind of guy. I figure that a friend in need is a friend indeed, and if that person needs some help, I'm more than willing to lend a hand, not expecting anything in return. I apologize for the ramble, so in closing I'd say it's "priceless".

Wow has this site been busy! I post last night and today I check for responses and it's on the 4th page!

Anyway, thanks for the tips & encouragement regarding the DIY approach to the electrical work.

travcoman - your prices sound pretty good to me actually. I agree that well-crafted products earns the craftsman a well-deserved price. The complainers can buy their reheatable tubs of crockpot/liquid smoke "pork product" from the regrigerated section of their megalo-mart.

For friends & family, I agree. I found an electrician willing to work via barter system. Don't know what to offer, so since these are the skills I have, I'll put them to use. And hell, I'd rather smoke some meat then wash his car!

Any others? What are the per pound prices in your area?

Trav, you're right in line with what I get here in Fl. But I do get $8.50 lb for pulled/sliced pork and don't do brisket except on special order.

I fully agree with Mikey
PDT_Armataz_01_39.gif
, Friends are those of us who enjoy sharing our knowledge and talents. Talk to yer buddys and stike up a deal; the worst that can be is they say no...
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky