BBQ Pitmasters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

banderson7474

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 24, 2016
Alabama (near Auburn)
Im watching it right now and they are cooking a brisket. I dont understand how they are putting it in the smoker with 8/9 hrs left and going to finish it in time. They are going to 200 IT and most are around 230 cook. Is it bc they have competition type smokers?

I cook at 250+ on my Lang and depending on weight my brisket usually cooks in that time frame. But I also found my cook times dramatically went down when I upgraded cookers.

By the way I’m watching that too.

I used to watch that show and never miss an episode, but stuff they said and did often didn't add up. Rookie mistakes are made in almost every show by professionals. I Googled cooking reality shows and learned a few things. Basically, it isn't reality at all. It is scripted.

They never give the weight of the meat being smoked. What you see being trimmed and what comes out of the smoker can be two different cuts of meat. Which leads me to my next point.

The timing also isn't reality. The other night there was nothing on. I fell asleep with the TV on and when I woke up there was an episode involving turkey. One of the contestants hadn't even taken his turkey out of the smoker when they announced "2 minutes left!" He turned in a perfect turkey box and won the week. I laughed, and made a comment about internally processed bovine food. So, maybe a Wagyu brisket can cook in 8/9 hours, but not at 230F.

There can be hours and hours between segments of the show. Prep is one segment. Cooking another. Turn-in another. And finally judging. Every wonder why they turn in food and it is light outside, and when it is judged, it is pitch black dark and they are all wearing heavy coats? I pay attention to details, and sometimes they get it SOOOO wrong.

The show is good for getting ideas, but not the processes shown.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky