BBQ Pitmaster show on TLC tonight

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I watched last night and loved it. I was hoping to get a little more info on their techniques but I should have known there would be no secrets revealed.

I was at least looking for finished temps, fire maintenance tips etc. I knew no recipes would be given out. I will continue to watch though, interesting stuff.

I really liked the Slap Yo Daddy guys with their bullets! Gotta love the little guys mixing it up with the big stick burners!

Overall I liked the show.

Although they may not spill their secrets I think there is still things to be learned from watching it. If you pay enough attention to the show you'll see things. Just like with most shows. They may not detail it but it is there for the taking.

I agree, but I'm guessing, most of the people watching are just fans of reality TV or backyard hacks that aren't activley working at perfecting their Q. Even this hack will likely never compete but I am trying to get better at it so that if I did get thrown into a comp, I at least wouldn't be completely embarrased. If it was a show about recipies it would be on the food network and hosted by one person. I'll keep watching and see where it goes. Hopefully I'll pick up a tip or two along the way. But it's no cooking class for sure.

Never heard that as a criteria.You being a judge-I would assume you might give it a whiff,but criteria????

Our first comp of 2009 was 96 teams and 50 of judges were new.A friend is a table captain and he apoligized to us for the lack of experience in the judges.They were making basic mistakes.... on disqualifications etc...Makes you wonder sometimes...

I found that to be a bit odd, placing the greens in there with a tweezer. I know presentation means allot when it comes to food, but this is BBQ. Your supposed to eat this stuff and get it on your face and then lick your fingers clean LOL. I also found that the guy placing his chicken thighs in a cupcake mold was strange. I mean, they came out looking like a giant processed McNugget. It just looks so funny making sure all this food is the same size, arranged perfectly on a bed of greens, then served on a styrofoam tray that you get from the greasy spoon. But then again, that young kid, the one who came in last just kinda threw his stuff in there and called it good. If I were to ever compete, I would play along, but I think presentation should be on the bottom of the list and taste at the top. Thats just me.

I have competed a couple of events and now that I have a decent smoker setup, plan to do a few more events next year. I will tell you that I went into it thinking that I am just here for fun, but you know as well as I do that BBQ is a matter of pride, and I would have felt really bad coming in dead last. I was as green as they come, but had a round-about connection to the guy that was competing across from me (his partner is my insurance guy, a rep for Backwoods smokers, and the person solely responsible for informing me about insulated smokers). I asked a lot of questions and he helped me out with decent answers (after giving me grief of course). Although I was a rookie competitor, I am by no stretch a rookie at BBQ or TBS. In fact I was cooking on my homemade insulated backwoods knockoff, and he was a backwoods rep. Well I will tell you that I walked away from that contest with a 4th place ribbon and check in the brisket category, not to mention that I came in 12th overall. It was a KCBS event and I got 4th out of 49 for my first competition.

Competing was a lot of fun, and I look forward to many more. There is a sense of comraderie, but then again, I am not competing to earn a paycheck.

They can get pricey, especially since I throw a big party for friends on Friday night. The entry fee for the ones locally are at least $200 and for the last one I did spring for a nice tent and other assorted gear...Mrs. Engineer kept receipts and overall it was over a thousand dollars after all of the meat, gear, entry fee, and assorted items. I am, however, sponsored by the local liquor store, and that is a cool thing too. If you are going to compete, you will need to learn the garnish thing, otherwise you are just pi$$ing your money away...it is that important. If you can't play the game, you will lose.

Right on Dana.When you look at money and then the pride-i do this to place well or win now-i am dead serious come saturday.My last comp with old team we were 3,6,7, and a 25th place in the 4 categories-out of 45 teams(5 of the teams made the jack daniels invitational).The 25th place was a basic mistake or we win,place,show.When you are that close you definetly get more serious,,,,We are talking less then 1 point from winning categories-i think folk who do not compete have a hard time getting a handle on that!!!!!!

points.gif
For being the first to say it here. We were at Dover and he pushed his wife to the ground also. What a jerk hope he does not win to much on the show. although he must know something since he is 2-3 time world champ.

i'm a total newby but i thought the show was pretty good but the guy who won in my opinion needs a bar of soap in his mouth. totally looked like a idiot talking like that. i tried getting my wife into it and his foul mouth ruined it.

i served as a paratrooper and am no prima donna but i feel his mouth was over the top.

Good show, finally a reality series I can watch. Aslo it is just going to help the smoking community grow; might even prompt a few to buy holsters for their spatula's and start competing !!!

Amen, brother....same deal here. I guess I could have done more homework on the show, but I didn't. I just tried to watch it with my wife, and all it did was fuel the fire of idiot, hillbilly BBQ man...with all the unnecessary cursing. Then throw in a stoner, meth-head guy coming in dead last, for good measure. WTF?

HA!!! Anyway, I watched it. Now I question why this particular "select few" bbq comp. teams were chosen by the media types. F*** 'em.
I hope my wife doesn't think that's how it is when I get together w/ friends for "friendly backyard" comps. Geeesh....two steps away from Springer, I tell ya...

Oh well. It's TV.
Like a few have said earlier - I guess they feel the need to have a cast of crazies to get people to watch.

Great show, I'll keep watching. The typeA-Jackass is pretty funny to watch. Kissed his wife after every win, hate to see what he did to her after winning the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.
Asians with computer technology? No way , I never would have seen that coming.
rolleyes.gif

Judges cannot disqualify anyone. If there is threat of disqualification from an entry it is brought to the attention of the table captain who in turn brings it to the attention of the KCBS reps and only they can disquallify an entry.

I took the judging class earlier this year in hopes to get some sort of idea as to what the judges are looking for. The fact is anyone who pays the money to take the class is automatically an official judge. There is no test. They do not tell you what to look for or how to judge any of the four categories. It is all about personal preference. The only thing you will learn from the class other than the rules for illegal garnishes is how to mark down your scores and not to talk to the other judges during the actual judging. Pretty much a big waste of time and money.

huh? I am not a choir boy. I am a newbie, maybe that is why the bolded does not make sense to me or the sarcasm went over my head.

It must have been a new table captain he was refering too.He said one box only had 4 pieces of meat samples for 6 judges....

I have also become skeptical of the judging as you mentioned.After talking with people who are judges i decided not to bother with the class.I will just stick to competing and hope i get a good table of judges...That and after seeing some of the turn ins i dont thinl i wanna eat some of this stuff....FAB injections,MSG out the wazoo etc...

I am a total newbie and have never competed and even my wife who once burned jello asked me "how could that Paul be an executive chef and turn in burnt chicken and just thrown his food into the turn in boxes without paying any attention to prensentation"

Interesting show but some very staged moments - not much useful information or tips.

Guess I was hoping for more "real" than "reality"
mad.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky