BBQ Pitmaster show on TLC tonight

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I could do without the bleeping (and the underlying reason for the bleep) but it sure was nice to see a show on TV with people who know what they are talking about and never once mentioned "killer grill marks". I'll watch it again, though I can't imagine what they will do for an entire season:
1.) Nobody is going to give any secrets (I wouldn't)
2.) Mixon can't be a bigger jerk
3.) The kid's going to continue to lose, if just on presenation alone. He looks just stuborn enough to not learn from his mistakes.

First thing Carol said was " what a puke, a jackass" I had to agree, but it was a good show.

ok, I might be the only myron mixon fan here. It is just a reality show,the producers want smack talk,etc... It worked ,everyone watched it and now there talking about it . they got what they wanted. I have respect for each and everyone on there. I also learn by watching shows like this, thanks to myron my pork went from finishing in the bottom half to top ten calls. myron really is not like they showed, he does have a good personality, and very serious about his Q!!

I've met Myron and he was not at all like he came across on the show.

He is self-assured (with reason, I guess, since his restaurant in Cordele, Ga., now closed, had so many trophies there was barely room for the customers), but friendly and far from arrogant. I have to suspect that the TV folks sort of scripted some of the comments to enliven the show.

I will say that I thought the most interesting thing in the whole show was Myron's revelation that he cooked his meat at relatively high temperatures, around 350, rather than the low and slow method that most of us use.

Obviously, it works very, very well for him.

Finally, the irony of it all: Myron's strong suit seems to be brisket, and like me he's from a part of the barbecue world where "barbecue" means "pork" and probably never even tasted brisket until he started competiton.

Myron also stated that he was using a Wagyu (spelling?) brisket. There isn't much comparision in my opinion. The marbling really should be that much better.

Yeah they could make a Lifetime story out of the "kid"....He was a troubled pitmaster who never could make it on stage and then one day...

From Wikipedia:

The massive increase in popularity of Kobe beef in the United States has led to the creation of "Kobe-style" beef, taken from domestically-raised Wagyu crossbred with Angus cattle, in order to meet the demand. Farms in America and Britain have attempted to replicate the Kobe traditions, providing their Wagyu herds beer and daily massages with warm sake. U.S meat producers claim that any differences between their less expensive "Kobe-style" beef and true Kobe beef are largely cosmetic. The cattle are fed American and/or British grass and grain, which is different from the more expensive Japanese feed. Cuts of American "Kobe-style" beef tend to have darker meat and bolder flavor.

If Myron is using Wagyu brisket he has a definite advantage. I'm pretty sure the last packer I smoked never had a beer, a massage, or sake. Regardless, he is obviously doing what it takes to win, and that's what it's all about. Does anyone know where I can score a veal brisket?

The woodchicks used a wagyu briskit also,there showing up a contest more and more. I was totally surprised at the lighter fluid, did he do that to throw everyone off ? In cook-off's you just don't do that,and he used a bunch!!

I to was very surprised to find out the "high and fast" brisket cook....I will be trying it out. Also I am sure the "editing" makes Myron look more of a ass then he really is. He still seemed snobby to me but I'm sure he had help...the "kid" Paul is on drugs......he shows all the signs of being tweaked out...and the question that keeps coming up in my head is where do they get the money to do this? And how much is a wagyu beef brisket ? Good show tho I will be watching it.

My thought on the lighter fluid is he "starts" his fire with it...so after burning for a hour or so the fluid is gone. the coals are so hot I just don't see how a flammable fluid surviving for very long at those temps Besides the plating it is not rocket science. BBQ has been around for ever. I think people make it out to be more then what it is. If you know how to pick a good piece of meat, know how to cut it, and know how to plate it then I think you got a chance....cooking it would probably be the easiest part.

I don't know if this has been posted before but this must have been the comp where Myron's team was competing somewhere else also and had to forfeit the win because according to KCBS rules a team can only compete at one contest at a time under the same team name and he is not listed as the winner on the KCBS website.

KCBS

Overall:
1 Sweet Peppers
2 Smokin Triggers
3 Cool Smoke
4 Pellet Envy
5 Santa Ynez BBQ
6 Jerry King, Midland, Tx
7 Brazen BBQ
8 TheSlabs.com
9 Twyford BBQ and Catering
10 Otis and the Bird
11 R & R BBQ
12 Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ
13 Texas Rib Rangers
14 Iowa's Smokey D's BBQ
15 McFrankenboo BBQ
16 Jambo Pits
17 Oh Kay Cee's
18 Rhythm 'N Que
19 Them Ohio City Boys
20 QN4U
21 OOPS
22 Tropical Heat
23 Mad Max's BBQ
24 Big O's BBQ 2Hot4U
25 Wood Chicks BBQ
26 The Pit Stop BBQ
27 Toys 4 BBQ'N
28 BBQ Bullies
29 Rib Tickler BBQ
30 Smokin Goatheads
31 Britts Barbecue
32 The BBQ Nerds
33 Notleyque
34 Eureka BBQ Crew
35 Barbeque Heaven
36 One Smoke Over the Line
37 The Arizona Kid
38 Here Piggy Piggy BBQ Tea
39 Smokin Dead Meat
40 Mesquite Heat
41 Casual Smokers
42 Tommy's Texas BBQ
43 Team Grinder
44 When Pigs Fly BBQ
45 F. Rogers BBQ
46 Pablo Diablo BB

Watched it, dissappointed, to much drama an not enough hands on. Old South I'm sure was scripted ta the hilt, but I wouldn't have allowed myself ta be portrayed as such an a$$ If I wasn't.

It better pick up the pass er I'm gonna start forgettin bout it.

A 9 pound Wagyu packer brisket will run you about $200 (packed and shipped; approximate). I think this is the main reason he can cook them high and fast. Try that with a wally world brisket and I'll bet it's chewey.

I agree about the Wagyu, did everyone notice how he said "I only buy one brisket, i'm not spending all my money on several"

This must be the reason why? I was shocked to see he cooks @ 350. 4 hours for a brisket? This made me second guess everything since his turned out so good. Hopefully the meat was the reason why.

He is a A**hole, however, I think he's the type of character we'll love to hate throughout the season. Probably be rooting for him by the end.

Yes, the kid Paul was drugged out of his mind. Did anyone notice the Carl from Caddyshack similarities???

The Smack Yo Daddy BBQ guys were great. I love that they stick to Weber bullets, and that they've made a "computer" to control airflow.....not saying I believe in stereotypes, but I found that ironic.

Cool Smoke seems like a good crew.

It is set to record the whole season on my DVR. It will be fun to view the feedback here after each show

Anyone here ever seen Popdaddy's Brisket video on Youtube? Man, oh man is that guy funny. He has a couple AWESOME smoker's too...

Anyway, I DVR'd the Pitmasters show - plan to watch it tonight, but what made me comment - is Popdaddy cooks his ribs and briskets at high temps too. I also prefer cooking at 250 - 275, rather than 225...but to each their own, right? If you get it tasty and tender - doesn't matter how you got there, as long as you make it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky