BBQ "Fried" Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It is ON!!!!

Local grocer has chicken leg quarters on sale 10 pound bag for $0.29/lb.

I'm buying 2 bags and the plan is to do smoked fried chicken jan. 3rd @ the firehouse. Will let you know how it turns out....

It is ON!!!!

Local grocer has chicken leg quarters on sale 10 pound bag for $0.29/lb.

I'm buying 2 bags and the plan is to do smoked fried chicken jan. 3rd @ the firehouse. Will let you know how it turns out....
Wow! Wish I was going to be there!

Disco- I notice you put the thighs on the top rack in the smoker. Would it work if I put them on the bottom rack? I plan on doing this tomorrow and fill the smoker up with 10# of chicken.

Disco- I notice you put the thighs on the top rack in the smoker. Would it work if I put them on the bottom rack? I plan on doing this tomorrow and fill the smoker up with 10# of chicken.
It depends on how much direct heat your smoker puts out. My pellet smoker is normally fine but it is way below freezing here and when you open the lid, it dumps a lot of pellets to catch up and gives more direct heat at the bottom. If I was doing it in the summer, no problem.

If you have a direct heat problem, you could put them on a rack over a tray to get around it.

Man, Disco. That looks great. I'm gonna try this this summer when the weather is warmer.

Haven't been on here much for the past year for numerous reasons. So glad I finally found my way back. And my new years diet (HAHA that aint happenin) is shot all to he**!

Mark

It depends on how much direct heat your smoker puts out. My pellet smoker is normally fine but it is way below freezing here and when you open the lid, it dumps a lot of pellets to catch up and gives more direct heat at the bottom. If I was doing it in the summer, no problem.

If you have a direct heat problem, you could put them on a rack over a tray to get around it.
Not that cold here....68~70* here now...probably feels like summer in Canada! LOL!!

Thanks for the reply. Will post pics. tomorrow when I do the cook. Soaking the beans and will prep the brine tonight for an overnight soak.

Not that cold here....68~70* here now...probably feels like summer in Canada! LOL!!

Thanks for the reply. Will post pics. tomorrow when I do the cook. Soaking the beans and will prep the brine tonight for an overnight soak.
I look forward to it!

Very good Disco!

First I got the beans going...
IMG_20190103_144932.jpg

Sautteed 2# diced tasso, 3# sliced smoke sausage, 3# onions, and 2 bell peppers and added that to the beans..
IMG_20190103_144925.jpg

IMG_20190103_163701.jpg

Then pulled the chicken from the brine, mixed up the flour and seasonings, coated the chicken and put it on the pellet smoker. After I based the chicken with the oil, turned the rice cooker on and mixed up the jalapeno and cheese corn bread.

Had problems with the pellet smoker with smoke billowing out of the pellet hopper 1/2 way through the cook. Had to pull the chicken and finish them in the oven. They still turned out great! I love the crispy smoky skin! Awesome recipe my friend! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!! LOL!!
View attachment 384602

You can see some of the pieces near the hopper end of the smoker got a little dark. This was condensation forming on the lid of the cook chamber and dripping down on the chicken.
IMG_20190103_175958.jpg

Not all the pieces were dripped on though...Money shot...
IMG_20190103_174146.jpg

Up close shot of the chicken. BTW, legs work really well for this recipe too. I put those on the top shelf of the pellet smoker and the thighs on the bottom.
IMG_20190103_174155.jpg

All the guys @ the firehouse loved the chicken...raved on it in fact. The touch of BBQ rub is a stroke of genius! Flavor was awesome! I think I have convinced them to clean the pellet smoker if they want me to continue smoking meats for them....LOL! That smoker was very dirty and needs some TLC and a heavy cleaning to get it back into shape.

Last edited:
Reactions: disco
I cooked 20# of chicken leg quarters. They ate half of it. They are gonna pull the meat (and skin) off the bone and make chicken salad on next shift. I have something special planned for the left over red beans. Stand by for the cook thread on that.......

Reactions: tallbm
Very good Disco!

First I got the beans going...View attachment 384584

Sautteed 2# diced tasso, 3# sliced smoke sausage, 3# onions, and 2 bell peppers and added that to the beans..
View attachment 384599
View attachment 384600

Then pulled the chicken from the brine, mixed up the flour and seasonings, coated the chicken and put it on the pellet smoker. After I based the chicken with the oil, turned the rice cooker on and mixed up the jalapeno and cheese corn bread.

Had problems with the pellet smoker with smoke billowing out of the pellet hopper 1/2 way through the cook. Had to pull the chicken and finish them in the oven. They still turned out great! I love the crispy smoky skin! Awesome recipe my friend! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!! LOL!!
View attachment 384602

You can see some of the pieces near the hopper end of the smoker got a little dark. This was condensation forming on the lid of the cook chamber and dripping down on the chicken.
View attachment 384603

Not all the pieces were dripped on though...Money shot...
View attachment 384601
Up close shot of the chicken. BTW, legs work really well for this recipe too. I put those on the top shelf of the pellet smoker and the thighs on the bottom.
View attachment 384604

All the guys @ the firehouse loved the chicken...raved on it in fact. The touch of BBQ rub is a stroke of genius! Flavor was awesome! I think I have convinced them to clean the pellet smoker if they want me to continue smoking meats for them....LOL! That smoker was very dirty and needs some TLC and a heavy cleaning to get it back into shape.
This is what I love about cooking. You took a recipe I liked, made it your way and added those great looking beans making it better than I made. Big like and kudos!

I would think you might want to consider doing a post on those beans. Many would flip over them!

Nothing at all special about the beans...it's just a simple new orleans style red beans and rice. But I'll make a thread anyways.

What I really love about cooks "just a simple new orleans style red beans". All great food is just simple this or that in the eyes of the cook but amazes the eater!

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky