Basic Pulled Pork Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Cooked to 200* and foiled then held @ 170*for 2-3 hrs., it will fall apart every time. However, ther are many who would call that overcooked.

Personally, I like the meat to be no more done than enough to pull it into bite sized limps and such. IMHO stringy shredded pork is not the best way to go.

Grande, I'm following your footsteps. Will use Meowy's tutorial to smoke my first bone-in boston butt, tomorrow Super Bowl Sunday!!!

I'll post a separate thread with Q-VUE for everyone to critique
icon_lol.gif

I have a question about this. I've smoked 2-3 butts now using the method described, and they are all very moist and tender, but the bark gets moist as well. I don't get any complaints from anyone, but personally, I'd like for there to be some bark-y bits mingled in. I'm smoking a butt this weekend, and am thinking of going no-foil.

It's about an 8-pound butt (bone removed, fat cap trimmed down but still plenty of it-- I get these from Costco). Can I just follow the directions in the initial post, and omit the foil part (i.e. do I leave the butt on for the same amount of time)? I'm not too concerned about drying out the pork, because I'll keep an eye on it.

I was unable to get a butt yesterday but was able to get a picnic for $.59 a lb. at pathmark. Is there much difference between the two cuts when doing a pulled pork and is there anything i need to look out for?

I went to foil wrap at 165 and because of the cold weather, lost alot of heat, about 15 degrees. Is this okay? I am going to try to finish in the oven. The shoulder has been on the smoker for 9 hours and I'm getting worn out worrying about it.

Yes sir - it's like a high water mark - once you hit it, it's OK. Once it hits that temp (a little lower actually) the smoke isn't really doing much for it, so you can either finish it in the smoker or in the oven. Set your oven for 230 and bring the internal temp of the meat up to 200-ish and you'll be good to go. Just try to let it sit a few hours (at least one) after you take it out.

It'll be the best $.59/lb meat you've ever had!

Seriously though, it'll be great and that's a phenomenal price. The Butt is the top section of the front shoulder, and the picnic is the lower half - kind of like the rump on the rear leg is over the ham on the bottom.

For pulled pork, most folks can't tell the difference. The question you need to be asking is - at $.59/lb how many can you fit in your smoker ???!!?! You need to have some folks over and have a BBQ party!

On a day of 40 - 50 mph gusty winds and rain I was forced to worry a little. My wife thought the 12 hours of baby sitting was a little ridiculous but as I pulled it, each sample confirmed it was worth it.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Ok I saw this and gotta try it. I've got the butts rubbed and in the fridge for the night gonna get the smoker fired up in the morning.
Also have some venison backstraps marinating from another post
Will give the QVIEW in the regular pork section after I finish

Well, I have smoked several butts using bits and pieces of advise from the forum, and they were all good. However, when I followed the instructions in this sticky, the results were fabulous! My wife, the supreme food critic of all time said, "This is very good." That is high praise indeed! After wrapping in foil, I had to crank the smoker temp to 275 to meet the dinner deadline and could only allow it to rest for 30 minutes. Nevertheless, the results were nothing less than amazing.

Thanks for posting these instructions.
PDT_Armataz_01_26.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky