Basic Pulled Pork Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
3 questions -
1) do you do this through the entire process or do you stop at some point?
2) does all the alcohol evaporate in the smoking?
3) I had always heard that opening the smoker was a bad idea (i have a brinkman and to do this id have to remove the lid and let a lot of heat escape) is the spray worth it?

cannot wait to try this

1 I stop spraying when I foil the meat
2 I believe it does
3 Opening the smoker always adds to the cooking time - I believe the extra flavor and addition to the bark makes it worth the effort.

Brining is a matter of personal preference - try it to see if you like the results

Hope this helps!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Meowy,
Thanks for this one! I am new (see Role Call) and am planning on my first smoke this Sunday (Fathers Day) I found this thread while searching for Butt processes with a Pro Char Griller. Keep the great tutorials coming my friend! I love it when someome "talks dummy" to me. (Which as a newbie I need big time) Speaking of talking dummy, I wonder if the web masters have ever considered putting out a book based on all of the info that is shared here? I'd buy it !...Then again, it wouldn't be as fun and as personal as the forum itself!

QueTeePie
Tracy

You are welcome! Enjoy the journey. We always end up where we belong, even if it isn't always where we thought we'd be.

Regards,

Meowey

Ill be smokin all weekend , chicken and chops saturday, pork butt on sunday, this will be a little tricky cuase we got church sunday morning so itll be on its own for about 2 hours in the begining, ( is this a no no?? )
this will be my first butt, it weights 5 1/2 lbs. along with this ill be pre smoking some new york strips that will then go to the grill. im going to follow the steps listed , thanks for a great thread and all the info

After I get up to pulling temp how long CAN I leave it in the towels in the cooler? I have a wedding to attend and am cutting it close. Should I skip the wedding?

Depends on how long you'll be at the wedding
biggrin.gif

You can leave it in there for 3-4 hours wrapped in foil and a towel. I guess the ultimate question is, when do you want to eat it? You plan on eating it tomorrow, throw it in the frigde when you get home. Reheat tomorrow. You want to eat it tonght, grab a few drinks at the reception, go home, pull it out of the cooler and it should still be hot or at least warm after 4 hours.

If it were me, I'd skip the wedding and tend to the vittles unless it's family
biggrin.gif

Thanks, this is for tomorrow. So you don't think that 3 hours will be bad for the pork?

I have personally gone as long as 7 hours and have read in here that many folks have gone 5-6 hours routinely. After my 7 hour rest, they were still too hot to handle with bare hands. Had to break them into chunks and cool for a few minutes (I'm a pull by hand guy). If you plan to go for any real length of time, go a step beyond just wrapping towels around the foiled butts. Fold a towel to fit the bottom of a cooler, put in your butts immediately after you take them from the heat and towel them. Cover the butts with another towel after ya get em in the cooler. Big towel folded half or triple. One more point, its gotta be a good cooler! Don't know if anyone has ever gone more than my 7 hours, but with the heat they still had, I'd feel safe going eve 10-12 hours. BUT, (legal disclaimer) I'm NOT tellin ya that it WILL work!
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

I've left them in the cooler for 2-3 hours without the temp dropping too much to keep it out of the "danger zone" of 40-140°F and safe.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Meowey

I had mine in the Coleman 5 day cooler (with Seboke's towel suggestion) for 7.5 hours and when I got back to them they were still very hot (I didn't put the thermo on them but they were still to hot to handle). Everything came out perfect, thanks to everyone on this forum. I was running around like a crazy person so I didn't get any pics, but next time I will make sure to snap some.

I used Jeffâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s rub and Q sauce and everyone LOVED the sauce.

Thanks Everyone, I look forward to learning much much more.

Just wanted to thank Meowey for the great instructions. I smoked my first butt yesterday and without the instructions in this post I am sure it would not have been as good as it was.

You are most welcome. I'm glad that you met with success!

Regards,

Meowey

I have read conflicting information as to when to foil a butt when smoking it. Some people have said at 145 degrees and others up to 165. I am smoking my first right now and it is at 148 now. What do you guys suggest?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky