Bacon Color Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

steel4sam

Original poster
Jan 2, 2015
Hi there,
I’m pretty new to making my own Bacon, I just pulled a batch off the smoker, I’m wondering if the coloring looks ok to you all. It’s got a vibrant red color on the bottom but the meat just under the fat is much lighter colored. A slight pink. Has the cure not reached it? I followed a recipe and was careful with my measurements and time. Advice is welcome.

Attachments

• AB1E9792-F747-4EAA-9AB9-11EA79F10BC6.jpeg
    AB1E9792-F747-4EAA-9AB9-11EA79F10BC6.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 47
What and who's recipe did you use ??

Did you use a recipe from this forum ?? Which one ??

From the deep pink color, "maybe" too much nitrite was added...

Fat won't turn pink...

Last edited:
No it was from a curing book I have. Is the light colored meat near the fat ok colored? Thanks for your reply.

Different muscle groups turn different shades of pink with the cure..
Here's a pork loin sandwich... Note the different color... Evidently, some parts of the loin work harder than others.. Someone smarter than me can figure that one out...

CB Sandwich 001.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky