Bacon Brine ratios check my math please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

theppgcowboy

Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
I like pops brine with a tweak.  But now I have questions.  I like to work with weights rather than volume measurements.  I am using this calculator for the first time. 

<http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html>

I have an 11.28 pound belly and will use 2 gallons of water, so together I have 12673grams of Belly and water. It says I need 31.63gr of cure, 223.8gr of Salt, and 126.7 gr of sugar, (half white, half brown).

To me 31.6 gr of cure is lower than what pop would use.  Should I up it to maybe 56 grams?

Do I have my cure number plugged in correct to the calculator at 156ppm? He is using a heaping tbs so could that be my confusion?

Any advise would be appreciated.

@DaveOmak  Would be abgood one to chime in on this subject.

I have not tried to use Martin's calculator for anything besides dry curing. 1 teaspoon of cure #1 = 6.67 grams. So 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons/tablespoon) should be 20.01 grams If you are using 2 gallons of water you would end up with 40.02 grams of cure.

Pop's says heaping tablespoon so that may be more like 4 teaspoons or 26.68 grams (x2) = 53.36 grams.

Last edited:
Pops cure calls for 1tbs of cure/gal of water. You have 15.8g/gallon. You are good.

Edit: Didn't see the "heaping" in pops cure until now. So your brine has less cure than pops. It doesn't make it unsafe.

Last edited:
So after trying to convert pop's into weight and bring it more into line with weights I used:

11.28 pounds of pork belly for                          5116gr

2 gal of water for                                            7930gr

Salt is 3.5% of water and belly                       435 gr   (salt is 270 gr per cup)

Sugar is 3% of water and belly                       380gr   (sugar is 200gr per cup)

Cure 42.58gr  I put at 210ppm of water and belly and it should fall in line with pops I think. 

Any thoughts?

I guess I got the cart before the horse when I initially asked.  I did not adjust percentages.  

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Leave it as is and be sure to cure for 12 to 14 days

Richie

Rotate your brine once a day ( Stir)

I like pops brine with a tweak.  But now I have questions.  I like to work with weights rather than volume measurements.  I am using this calculator for the first time. 

<http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html>

I have an 11.28 pound belly and will use 2 gallons of water, so together I have 12673grams of Belly and water. It says I need 31.63gr of cure, 223.8gr of Salt, and 126.7 gr of sugar, (half white, half brown).

To me 31.6 gr of cure is lower than what pop would use.  Should I up it to maybe 56 grams?

Do I have my cure number plugged in correct to the calculator at 156ppm? He is using a heaping tbs so could that be my confusion?

Any advise would be appreciated.
When did you start this Bacon Brining?

Richie

I have not started the brine yet, but the troops are at the border.  The cure I will cut back on to its original 31.6gr and brine for 14 days.    Sound good, and thanks all for the replies.

I guess I was just trying to get a number that can be

Make life easier do it the way it is supposed to be done

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110799/pops6927s-wet-curing-brine

Richie
I am just trying to get a number that can be duplicated each and every batch.  When I measure something by volume the percentages vary sometimes quit a bit.  Just trying to be more precise in the brine. 
Weigh 1Heaping Tablespoon cure#1 3 to 5 times and pick the average weight,do the same with the sugar and salt you will always be exact.

Best I can do hope it helps

Richie

Always use bottled water

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky