Bacon Bear's way

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I had stop making bacon. It really was not much better than store bought. I tried Bear's extra smokey way. It has a good smoke to it. Leaner than would want but good. Seems like every time I slice it starts out thin like I like but than gets thicker. I freeze 4 hours. I really need to watch that next time.

Attachments

• 20201102_165521.jpg
    20201102_165521.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20201102_165538.jpg
    20201102_165538.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20201105_152551.jpg
    20201105_152551.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 40
Most of the things we cook are not as good as what we can buy commercially, but it is fun. My own personal observation about making bacon is that using our back yard smokers we can't cold smoke. I think that for really good bacon and ham, you really need a smokehouse. My wife would throw me out if I put one in our back yard.

Freeze and slice a few inches until it gets soft. If it hasn't thawed too much reverse slab and continue slicing.
Freeze again and slice a few more inches until you get to the chunky stuff great for beans or soup.

I have crappy slicer so it needs a lot of user help to get a decent cut of meat.

I’m a big believer in cold smoked & dry cured bacon. I have tried all the methods, except using TQ. I’m sure Bears method is a real good one, but I think for our taste a dry cure with cure #1 is the best method, then cold smoking.
Al

I freeze mine for 3 to 4 hours before smoking. Works Great.

If your slices are getting thicker as you go, the thickness dial might be loose, and pressure from the meat is pushing the fence back.

Cold smoking works great, but it takes 2 to 3 times as long to get the same Smoke Flavor as it takes when doing it my way. (20 to 30 hours, instead of 10 hours)

Bear

It came out looking like been cold smoke. Not really using very high temps. I can say it has the best smoke flavor I have done. I be making bacon again. Thanks Bear!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky